You Belong With Me

Requested by PennySmith978 sorry for the longer wait, I spent way too much time on this one because I wanted to change it up a little from the song. I hope you like it.

As soon as he shut the door of his bedroom, Evan fell to his mattress and let himself unwind. Weekdays always felt like they lasted forever, and this one was no different. He thought he would never get home but thankfully the bell had rung and his bus had dropped him off and now there he was.

But at that same second that he sunk into his mattress, he felt the urge to get up again and go to his window. Almost every day him and the boy that occupied the bedroom of the house that's right next to his would hang out. If that's what you'd even call it.

Grumbling lazily, Evan slowly picked himself up and made his way to the chair that he'd situated by his window and opened his soft, blue curtains.

Through the window that's directly across from his, he could see a boy about his age with shoulder length chocolate hair that moved violently as he paced the length of his own bedroom, a look of anger on his face. Connor seemed to be having a very aggressive conversation on his phone with what Evan assumed was his boyfriend. Evan had never met Connor's boyfriend, but he didn't liked him nonetheless. They'd always had fights like that, and Evan had always felt bad for Connor.

Connor turned around to walk the other way, yelling vulgar insults into his cellphone, and Evan noticed a newer looking bruise that decorated the boy's cheek. Evan instantly felt his anxiety levels rise. He wanted so badly to help Connor get out of that unhealthy relationship, but he knew he had no power over Connor or his stupid boyfriend.

A few minutes and a couple more choice words into the phone later, Connor had hung up and thrown his phone angrily to the side. He was caught off-guard when he saw Evan waiting at the window and he couldn't help but laugh as he grabbed a notebook and in big letters wrote Stalkerish much? with a marker.

Evan blushed bashfully before opening his own notebook and writing I'm just worried about you.

Connor touched the bruise on his cheek self consciously. Don't be, I can handle this myself.

That doesn't mean I can't worry, Evan shrugged and sent him a sad look. He began to write another message when Connor roughly pulled his curtains closed, blocking their connection.

Evan dropped his marker in defeat just as he'd finished writing what he'd wanted to tell his longtime neighbor for an even longer time.

I love you.

🔹🔶🔹

The next morning, Evan is waiting at the bus stop at the corner of his street, scrolling through a Wikipedia page about trees. He was so immersed in the article, that he was almost scared half to death when someone tapped him on the shoulder.

"Whatcha doing?" Connor smiled, stuffing his hands in his sweatshirt pocket, trying to sneak a peek at Evan's phone.

From up close, Evan could pick out the bruise from yesterday along with a scar that decorated the boy's jaw. "Are you sure you're okay?" He asked sadly, and went in to touch it, but Connor pushed him away.

"I told you I'm fine-" the taller boy started, but was cut off when a car pulled up to the corner.

"Hey Con, who's this?" The boy in the front seat asked. Evan couldn't quite make out his face, but he noticed he was wearing a green flannel.

Looking away from the car, Evan watched as fear flashed through Connor's eyes and began to worry. He'd never seen him scared before.

"This is my friend, Evan," Connor said as if all emotion had been sucked from his being. "Evan, this is my boyfriend..."