Chapter 6: The arrival

"There is freedom waiting for you,

On the breezes of the sky,
And you ask "What if I fall?"

Oh but my darling, What if you fly?"

Erin Hanson

Lily simply nodded while trying to shallow the lump in the throat, suddenly feeling afraid. She wasn't exactly afraid of heights, but flying was a completely different thing, and she didn't know what to expect from it.

"Good. Now if you need to throw up... don't throw up" said the elf.

Then with a big kick, they were in the air.

 The moment the gryphon took off the ground, Lily felt her interior twist, almost as if she was leaving them down while her body was propelled fast on the air, air strong in her eyes, making them water

Hadn't it been for Arya and her quick reflexes, she was sure that she would had fallen down as she almost slipped for the force the gryphon had launched them up.

After a few seconds of uncontrolled climb, where her heart beat fast and hard on her ears, they returned horizontal and immediately a beautiful sight opened in front of them.

With teary eyes, Lily saw the figure of the Orphanage and her little clearing on the hill disappear, becoming little and distant in mere minutes as in front of them the valley opened up and showed all her breathtaking beauty in full force.

She had never imagined that flying could be so magnificent, so stunning. She leaned a little on her right side, feeling the arm of Arya still on her stomach and looked down seeing rivers, houses, little villages and lakes pass fast under them, all in a dance of colours, lights and shadows.

Her dragon didn't seem to have any problems following as the fast creature could easily surpass them with just a couple of wings beats. He continued circling happily around them, making several times Arya shout at him, scolding the beast for creating air currents with his big wings. However, she earned only a quiet chuckle on Lily's head.

There was no talk during their flight, first because it would be difficult with all the wind in her ears, and second because Lily freezing and her teeth were clattering hard for the cold, making impossible for her to mutter any word.

If they didn't arrive at the Academy soon, then they would have to deal with a frozen rider, and she was sure that the news would create a lot of gossip for the bored housekeepers and some problems for the elf.

After passing over cities and fields, when the Sun had started to go down illuminating the valley with the colours of the sunset, the elf finally shouted in her head that they had arrived, indicating with a hand in front of her.