Chapter 19: Black Fire

"Be wild.
Be outrageous.
Be anything but normal.
Be a sea of magic in a world
full of deadened eyes."

The Better Man Project

She gasped as she felt her breath inch with her brain, too astonished to try to comprehend the situation, to try to understand if it was reality.

She just couldn't believe it.

There, on top of her palm, was a flickering black fire.

 Have you ever had that strange dream where you know you are sleeping, but your brain register the situation as real and you are stuck on the in between, knowing that it has to be real, but how could it be?

Well, while looking below at her hands on fire, Lily had the distinct feeling that she was dreaming everything and that in reality she was still at the Orphanage. Maybe she had done something stupid like she usually did, maybe she had hit her head hard and somehow she had hallucinated the past month.

Perhaps in that moment the housekeepers were screaming with their high pinched voice in panic because she had managed to hurt herself again, and Madam Spite was in all probability throwing words and insults at her for causing so much trouble as always.

"This is crazy" she heard Zack muttered, completely stunned like her.

Her brain barely registered the meaning of that as she turned her head to look at the older boy, warmth still rushing fast trough her veins. Lily didn't even thought for a second that there was fire on her hands, and she should have probably panicked a little, but her brain seemed to be made of mud with nothing on it, except for awe and astonishment swimming around.

Zack was looking at his hands that were held in front of him, with his big hazel eyes that most of the times sported a serious expression, but that now only showed utter disbelief.

Like her, in fact, little white bright flames were dancing on his palms, illuminating his face with little sparkles and making his blonde hair even brighter.

Lily looked at him as he turned his head to also look in her direction, eyes wide open and mouth agape. Both barely registered the shock in their faces as they simultaneously looked at Mattia, who was still staring down at his hands.

His face, like theirs, was showing his current shock, even if there was a little trace of panic in his features. He was holding his hands up in front of his face and was turning the palms back and forth, like he couldn't believe what he was seeing. He didn't have any flames, instead, flickers of electricity could be seen running trough his fingers, emitting little sparkles and a buzzing sound.