Chapter 26: Like a broken dam

"Another night, another day.
Just the next breath; one more step.
Tired.
So terribly tired at the bottom of a merciless ocean."

Karina Szczurek

"We need to talk" he just said, impenetrable eyes boring into hers.

Lily sighted heavily and closed her eyes, head hitting heavily the pillow.

Really, she was starting to hate those words.

Watching into his unusual dark eyes Lily noticed for the first time he had flickers of dark red dancing in the black

Watching into his unusual dark eyes Lily noticed for the first time he had flickers of dark red dancing in the black. She had never really noticed, never really talked much with him to see that he also held some of the unusual colouration all daemons seemed to possess, but now that she had observed that, she couldn't help but think that it just enhanced his presence, rending it even more mysterious, and frankly, dangerous.

While the majority of daemons were, well yes, quite the warrior bunch, they still loved to talk, joke, and live together in such a harmony that Lily had never observed in humans, who liked so much to battle within each other. Still, she had never seen Nahuel talk with anyone else except Talutah, Enapay or Cheveyo, so she was quite sure he wasn't one who joked around. His stony face didn't belong to someone who liked to play pranks.

So when he had sat down on an old chair next to her bed, all serious and stony-faced, she had expected to hear that something was wrong or, who knows, that something bad had happened again. She for sure didn't expect him to say he had decided on his own he was going to be her "bodyguard" from now on.

Lily had blinked blankly at him. 

A small 'you are joking' laugh had escaped her lips before she could stop it, even if he never changed expression. When she saw he wasn't joking, she shut her mouth as a silent indignation settled in, vanishing every little traces of humour. 

She wanted to tell him she didn't need to be protected, that could survive on her own just fine and had done it for as long as she could remember; she didn't want a shadow to follow every step, a hawk watching every movement.

But she shallowed down her reply because if she had really been able to protect herself, nothing would have happened in the first place. 

She wouldn't be still on bed with heavy bandages around half body that felt like a tightening snake, and she wouldn't have wounds that would scar on her face, side and leg. She still had to see herself on a mirror, afraid she wouldn't recognize the girl on the other side.

"No" Lily simply said, as if denying his request would vanish everything that had happened.

Wasn't it enough already? She had been attacked and injured, most of her squad wasn't talking to her, the director had decided to drop a bomb on her just after the incident and, on top of the cherry cake, he had announced that her mother, the woman Lily never wanted to see again in her life, was coming here.