1864

Mia POV

I smirked, hiding behind a bush as I brought my knees up to my chest. I placed a hand over my mouth to muffle my giggles as I heard my Uncle say "Oh where is my Mia Grace."

I peeked around the bush and didn't see him. Before I knew it, I was being tossed up into the air as I giggled loudly.

I was 6 years old, I haven't seen my father since his last visit three months ago but my uncle swore he would come back home in a few more. To say I was excited, would be an understatement.

"I found you!"

He set me down and I blushed at how much taller he was. Grandma yelled out from the balcony, "Stefan. Mia. Its time to get dressed."

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, there would be a new lady joining us at our household. I pouted, "Is our playtime over?"

"Only for a while. After we get dressed and greet the lady, we shall continue," Stefan picked me up and walked me inside as I waved to my slave friends. I was the only caramel colored girl in the household who was treated great.

I missed my Papa. I missed his black hair and blue eyes. I had his hair color and facial features. But the skin and eye color was all my mother, she died giving birth to me as a maid told me.

I was dressed in a dark purple dress. My hair in a half up, half down style with tiny pearls added in. My white gloves placed on as I slipped into dark purple flats.

"Grandma," I peeked into her room but only saw Giuseppe. He glared at me and I scurried out of his room. I didn't like him, he was always mean and Papa told me not to be alone with him.

Uncle Stefan held his hand out to me as we walked to the front porch and awaited for the carriage. After a few minutes, the carriage came into view and a servant had gotten out of the beautiful carriage.

She placed a stool down and soon, a beautiful woman stepped out. She had this weird vibe on her, I didn't like her. She focused her eyes on Uncle Stefan as he too, looked taken with her.

"Miss Pierce," Uncle kissed her hand as she curtsied.

"Call me Katherine." She smirked, keeping her head held high. I curtsied at her, only because it was proper, "Miss Pierce."

"Who is this," she smiled as she knelt down in front of me. I looked up at Uncle and hid behind his leg, intimidated by Katherine.

"This is my niece, Amelia."

"You have a sibling?" she asked, looking up for confirmation.

I spoke up. "My Papa is in the army." I spoke with pride for my Papa. Giuseppe glared at me and Grandma snickered softly at Katherine's face.

"Emily. Send my bags to my room," Katherine ordered to her hand maid. Emily, too, had a weird aura. I smiled at her and she winked playfully at me.

"Uncle Stefan. Please play with me," I begged, pleading with my puppy eyes. He smiled and picked me up, bowing us to Katherine.

He took me to my playroom and played with me. He even pretended to be a princess for me! I couldn't stop giggling, soon, I was in dire need for a nap.

Uncle picked me up and carried me to my room as he laid me on my bed. I dreamt of my Papa, that he had come home to me.

I woke up and groaned uncomfortable in my tight dress. I walked down the steps, but ran into Emily, causing me to fall down the steps.

I cried loudly in pain as I felt a weird feeling in my hand. Emily rushed to me and carefully picked me up, trying to quiet me.