Jøëy

I began talking with Ryland at lunch as we were gathering our food from the line; we were discussing how we wanted the stage set up for the DJ for the Prom. 

"Maybe we should put the disco over the dance floor, then we'll have the colored lights shinning down. So that way it's not in the bands faces." I suggested, and Ryland nodded along with me as he scribbled something into his note book. He looked over at me and smiled, and nodded rapidly.

"Yeah then if we position the lights just right we might be able to reflect the light on the disco ball and create a room full of lights." We both smiled as we payed for lunch and headed to our table. We talked about random things from there until we got to the table of our friends. Dan and Phil we're both discussing with each other, and both seemed to agree on something. Cry still hasn't arrived yet, and me and Ryland sat down next to each other, but on the opposite side of Ryland was Shane. They began to discuss baby things and whether or not they wanted to know the gender. As for me, I turned my attention to Dan and Phil as they both looked down at their list of groceries they were to get after school for the prom.

"Hey, did we ever discuss what our theme for the Prom would be?" Dan and Phil looked at each other and glared playfully at each other. Dan turned to me and eyed his boyfriend evily.

"Well,  I wanted to go with the 80's theme. But 'Mr. Know it all' wants to do a masquerade theme." Phil shot back with reasons on why the masquerade would be the best idea.  He mentioned everything from the little masks they could put on the cupcakes to the decorations they could use. Dan shook his head in defeat and snuggled his head into Phil's neck. Phil giggled in amusement then began to play with Dan brown hair.

I looked down at my food, debating on whether or not I would just give it to the stray cat in the back of my house or to just throw it away. I decided to eat my chicken cesar salad and drink some of my milk before deciding to pull out my zip-lock bag and put in my chicken sandwich. I zipped it up and was about to place it in my backpack when something caught my eye. I looked to my right at a guy from across the cafeteria.

Something seemed off about him; about this boy. Not only was he sitting by himself but he seemed depressed, almost like he was plotting death in his head. He didn't have any food in front of him, and his figure suggested he hadn't had food in a while. His hair was dirty blonde,  though his eyes are a beautiful diamond blue. Though his hair was a dirty blonde; his facial hair was a darker brown. Everything about him just seemed fabulous,  even his clothing choice seemed fantastic. He wore a grey shirt with a black leather looking jacket and a beautiful scarf with a black and white cloth and grey looking stars.

"Hey guys," I looked at my friends and they all looked at me.

"Would it be okay if I invited that guy over there to our table?" Shane gave me a weird look before he just shrugged.

"You might not be able to. He keeps to himself mostly." I decided to shrug of Shane's comment and gathered my things. I decided to put the sandwich in my jacket pocket and then grabbed the rest of my food. I swung my bag over my shoulder and walked on over to this guy. He seemed to notice me but he just looked back down at the table and played with a rubber band around his wrist. I took in a breath and smiled my famous smile.

"Hello," I said energetically. The guy just kept looking down at his wrist and playing with the band.

"Do you mind if I sit with you?" I asked. The guy looked up at me, his eyes told of a horror story.  He looked almost afraid- no frightened- of me. He opened and closed his mouth,  as though he wanted to say something. In the end he just shut his mouth and nodded. I smiled again and set my stuff on the ground and my tray on the table. I thought of a few conversation starters before I decide to ask any questions.

"I love your jacket, is it leather?" The guy nodded he moved his gaze to look at me only for a moment before snapping his eyes to the floor. Come on Jack, try and asking his name. I thought to myself.  I mentally slapped myself as I realized that this guy was looked uncomfortable. I needed to break the ice.

"My name is Sean,  but I prefer Jack." I waited for him to respond,  but all that came was a little breath from me as I let it out.

"What's your name?" I smiled to seem friendly, and I thought it worked for a moment.

"My name is Jo-" He mumbled the rest so I could hear him.

"Sorry,  I didn't quite catch that." He looked back up from the floor and gulped down his shyness.

"My name is Joey," he confirmed. I nodded and smiled at his first response.

"Well it's nice to meet you Joey." I looked down at my food and realized why I had come over here in the first place.

"Hey Joey, did you already eat? I didn't see you eat anything." Joey snapped his head up to glare at me with his icy eyes. His anger could almost be heard from inside my mind, as his expression was so intense.

"Have you come to tease me about being poor too? Did Amy tell you to come and throw food at me?" You could hear the hurt in his voice. Almost as if his voice had taken a trip through the forest and came out with blood and tears in his heart.

"No no, you just looked so alone," I quickly explained to him.

"And besides I would be the one to talk. I don't have it easy either." Joey's eyes softened until he completely calmed and gave me a weak smile. I mean it was something right.

"Sorry," he apologized.

"I'm just not really used to people being nice to me." Joey seemed hurt. Almost like his heart was broken in more than one place. I smiled kindly and reached into my pocket for the sandwich. I pulled it out and set it in front of him. Joey just kinda stared at it; almost in shock.

"Are you sure?" Joey asked almost in fear of taking what wasn't his. I nodded and smiled. I quickly ripped the plastic off the chicken sandwich and began to devour it. I watched pleased as his moans of satisfaction rang in my ears. I smiled as I watched him eat. He was soon done with it and licked his lips. He smiled at me and thanked me really quietly with a tiny berp. I chuckled.

"Your welcome." For the first time I heard his giggle. He wiped his mouth and smiled; genuinely.  I then looked over at my friends, Dan and Phil were in their cuddling poison as Shane talked with Ryland. Cry had finally arrived and was eating his food quietly. I turned to Joey as he looked over at my table of friends as well. I looked at him quietly thinking to myself before speaking up.

"Hey Joey, would you like to come and sit with me and the guys?" Joey swung his head toward me to look at me with wide eyes and an open mouth.

"Are you sure? I mean I don't want to intrude." I nodded and jerked my head towards the table. Joey looked at me in fear as he closed his mouth and looked to his feet.

"What if they think I'm weird?" He started playing with his fingers nervously.

"You're talking about a bunch of gay pregnant teen boys who are planning a prom. I'm pretty sure you'll be the closest thing to normal in that group." I chuckled before standing and reached my hand out to help him up. He looked at it worriedly.

"Why are you being so nice to me?" Joey looked at me with innocent looking eyes. At that moment I knew exactly what to say.

"Because you're a human, and whether anyone likes it or not, everyone isn't perfect. And I don't care what you did to make people hate you, I just care about you." Joey looked at me and then my hand. He looked back and forth a few times before grabbing it and let me help him up. I then lead him to my table of friends and sat him next to me.

"Hey guys this is Joey. He'll be sitting with us for lunch today."