Å Bït Töö Lãtê

Mark P.O.V

The evening star began to set as the stars started to sprout in the night sky. I couldn't sleep, the endless nightmares and countless thoughts of being a daddy got me shaken in my letter man jacket. The air cooled as the sun died down into the horizon. My cold hands crushed in my pockets as I balled them into a fist. The fresh tears fell from my cheeks as I thought about Jack and our little babe on the way; how I've treated both of them. I sighed as I gritted my teeth with droplets dripping from my eyes. My face felt warm as the the night grew colder and the night aged.

The walk through the late hours comforted my nerves, and dried my tears. My wondering lead me to the Grand Oak Park, which happened to be slapped in the middle of Los Angeles. The trees where insignificant in size compared to the giant tree in the middle of the park. The trail lead down to this tree; which up close looked more like a giant octopus. The branches spread like wildfire over and even inside other trees. I looked over through the forest like park in awe, never really noticing the beauty of green before until now.

I sighed as I ran a comb of fingers through my hair. The cool wind started to pick up so my long fire colored hair ran down over my eyes. The moments that I took to admire the green made it all the more calming. The trees gently rustled and the crickets finally came to life, sending soft music through the park. The quiet was quickly filled in by tiny animals or the rustling of the trees. Peaceful.

My nature walk had finally come to an end when my phone began to ring. The annoying sound bounced off of the wind and made the tiny music stop as the crickets got frightened. I had the urge to leave my phone in its place. However my common sense told me other wise. I quickly pulled out my phone to check the number when my heart slipped a beat. Amy. What did she want? I sighed as I pressed the green call button and pulled it up to my ear.

"This better be important," I growled into the phone. Amy simply answered with whimper and some distant crying.

"Hello?" I called into the phone but again no one answered except Amy's crying. I waited for someone to reply but it never came. Getting confused and frustrated I hung up the phone. If it was that important she would call back or even message me. I grumbled as I looked at my phone and awaited the second phone call. None came. Instead Signe started to call. I looked down at it in wonder if this was all just a joke. But in curiosity I still press the green button and raised it to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Hey Mark," Signe replied with confidence but she hesitated to say much else.

"What's the 411?" I asked impatiently. Signe again hesitated but answered with a fear that I've never heard in her voice before.

"Um, can you come down to Amy's place? It's urgent," Signe spoke very carefully. Which made me nervous.

"Alright, I'll be there in a few."

"Thanks Mark," Signe hung up the phone while I put my phone back into my pocket of my jeans. I looked around to figure out the best way to get to Amy's. I decided to just follow the trail back to the street and work out my streets smarts from there. The trail made from dirt and stone lead me down twists and turns, allowing me to see some fireflies and small frogs. The occasional water snake would slither in one of the ponds but nothing too interesting happened. The chilly air suddenly felt warm and dry as I walked on the trail. The tension in my mind strengthened. What was it that Amy wanted to say. It seemed strange that she would dump me because of Jack, then call me months later to say she needed something from me. Typical. I listened to the water ripple as little fish would jump through the water, having the time of their lives.

Then, quietly, their was a disturbance in the air. A quiet whimper echoed off the trees. The tiny noise distracted me, luring me in its direction. I pushed away some bushes.and tree branches till I can to a clearing. The pitch black water lit up as the full moon shined upon it. There was a absence of trees for a few yards; which was replaced by grass. There was a dirt path that lead up to a bench where a bundle of jackets sat, crying into pale hands.