Sick

El was curled up in bed, a bucket next to it. She had Mike's 'Hawkins Middle School AV Club' sweater on, considering that Mike was now in High School with the boys, Max AND El.

"Kid, time to get u-" Hopper opened her bedroom door and saw his daughter puking into a bucket. "You're not going to school today,"

"But... Mike..." She said, the Wheeler boy means the world to El. She looks at him like he's put all the stars, the sun and the moon in the sky.

"Once you can get your head away from the bucket, you can ring the Wheeler's and speak to Mike," Hopper ran his fingers through her sweat ridden curls. He may not be a big fan of the Wheeler kid, but if anyone was to have El's heart, he's glad it's Mike.

El smiled sleepily and continued to bring up her dinner from last night. Hopper gently rubbed her back, soothing her.

★★★

Once El had stopped bringing up her food for now, she was helped into the main room and the phone was sat in front of her.

"I'm gonna get a shower before I have to go to work, I'll drop you off at the Byers, Will's mama will look after you, ok?" Hopper said, ruffling her curls, attempting to lift them away from her neck.

El nods and watched her father walk to the bathroom, and then heard the shower start and her dad started humming a song from the radio.

She punches the numbers she easily remembers as the Wheeler's number.

"Hello?" Came the voice of Nancy Wheeler, she sounded sleepy but awake at the same time.

"Hi," El said quietly, yet she could feel something rising up her throat.

"Do you want to speak to Mike?" Nancy asked, that's when El could hear the clatter of cutlery and the loudness that is the Wheeler household.

"Yes, please," she says, once again, quietly, the sickness rising up further.

"MIKE! IT'S EL!" Nancy hollered, and El had to move the phone away from her sensitive ear.

"El! Hi!" Came the soothing and comforting voice of her favourite person on the planet, her boyfriend, Mike Wheeler.

"Mike, I'm not going to school today," she said sadly, she could almost hear the cogs going in Mike's brain.

"Why? What's wrong? Do you want me to come look after you?" Mike asked, she heard Holly's loud voice shouting to talk to her. 'ELLIE! ELLIE! I WANNA TALK TO ELLIE!'

"No, go to school, Mike, Will's mama is gonna look after me," she said, before curling into a ball, the phone was taken from her hand and was replaced by a bucket.

"Wheeler, she'll be fine, Joyce is gonna look after her, you... you can see her after school," Hopper said, as El's midnight snack started coming back up.

★★★

Hopper had called Joyce to tell her he was dropping El off, as she was extremely under the weather. And then he rung the high school and told them Jane Hopper wasn't going in today.

★★★

"Hi, sweetheart," Joyce said, as she opened the door and saw a bucket sat under El's chin and Hopper holding her up.

"I'll put her in the couch," Hopper said, and gently guided the unwell girl. He laid her down and as Joyce soothed the girl - Hopper brought in some ratty blankets and a teddy bear.

"El, kid, I'm going to work, Will's mama is gonna look after you, Will and Mike will be back at around 3.30, ok?" Hopper said, gently wrapping the blue elastic band that sits around his wrist (that sat around El's the night of the Snowball), and softly tied her hair away from her face and neck.

"Love you, kid," Hopper kissed the top of her head.

"I know," she had watched Star Wars with the boys many times, and smiled when Hopper looked at El confused.

"She loves you too, Hop," Joyce said, the entire story of Star Wars playing in the back of her mind, because of her little boy Will.