Alternative Universe - No Powers p.3

Jane Ives was sat in her usual seat, in Science class with Mr. Clarke, next to Will Byers.

They'd been sat in the classroom for 20 minutes. Not once has she looked over at Michael Wheeler.

Jane had bags under her eyes, she was yawning a lot more than what she would have been. The teachers held a more watchful eye over her.

★★★

Will gently prodded her leg and handed her a note.

'Heard you ditched my best friend. That's rude and extremely low of you Ives.'

Strangely, she recognised the handwriting anywhere.

Lucas Sinclair.

She glared heavily at the piece of paper, and wrote back a reply, also while looking up at the board. This way it looked like she was taking notes.

'I'll have you know, Sinclair, that I WAS sick, I was so sick, I ended up in hospital throwing up blood. And tell your precious Michael, that I never want to speak to him again.'

Jane handed the note back to Will, and it went to Lucas.

★★★

Jane unlocked her locker and a piece of paper delicate floated down.

'Hey, Jane,
I saw what Lucas said to you, and it wasn't right, but I know in my heart that you didn't mean what you said about Mike.
Just tell me the truth, I won't tell anyone, I promise.
Will Byers'

Jane smiles lightly at the note and starts writing one back.

'Hey, Will.
I didn't mean what I said about Michael... Honestly, I've fallen way to deep for me to just turn my back on him in a second.
But, I will not let him think that I ditched him the night of the Snow Ball. I was really sick, and ended up in hospital the past week. That's why I wasn't in, I've only just been released yesterday.
Thanks for understanding, Will
Jane x'

★★★

Will pulled Mike away from the group and handed Jane's note to him.

"I-I'm confused, which note is telling the truth. Lucas's or yours?" Mike asked, crossing his arms over his chest, like he was protecting his heart.

"Before the Snow Ball, you didn't see the way she looks at you. Mike, she's practically in love with you! And you screwed it up by saying that she was faking being sick and that she needn't contact you again..." Will said, walking away.

"Shit... I've totally screwed this up..." Mike muttered, his head against the side of his locker.