It's a Wonderful Life

Mike always felt that he never deserved El, nor their beautiful children.

When he was show an alternate universe, where he was never born, he sees what he should be greatful for.

★★★

He'd fallen asleep at a weird angle, when he wakes up, there's his father-in-law Hopper stood over him.

"Hopper! Thank god!" Mike exclaimed, before jumping into his arms.

"Get off me!" He said, grumpily. Not the way Hopper would have greeted him. "Who do you think you are?" Hopper rolled his eyes and went to his desk.

"Wha-? Hopper, it's me," Mike said, looking at the better man than his own father, confused.

"I can see that, but I don't know who you are," Hopper lit a cigarette. That didn't make sense, Hopper rarely smiled anymore, for the sake of El's sensitive lungs.

"Hopper, it's Mike. Mike Wheeler, I'm your son-in-law, I married El when we left high school," Mike looked bewildered at Hopper.

"I know the Wheeler's, they never had a son named Mike. Just two daughters, Nancy and Holly," Hopper shrugged. "And who's El?"

That was the biggest bombshell.

Hopper didn't know who his daughter was.

"Jane! Your daughter, you took her in, in 1984, you protected her, you kept her safe!" Mike exclaimed.

"If you mean Jane Ives, Terry's daughter, she's in Chicago," Hopper stubbed out his now dead cigarette.

"Chicago? What's she doing in Chicago!" Mike shouted, running his fingers through his dark locks.

"Look, kid, I think you hit your head and you must have forgotten something," Hopper said, shoving Mike his coat. "As for Jane. Who knows," Hopper shrugged.

★★★

Mike had travelled to Chicago, to see his wife. Why was she in Chicago?

He'd found her apartment building, and pressed the buzzer.

"Hello?" Came the soft voice that made his heart melt.

"El! Hopper didn't know who I was, he didn't know who you were!" Mike exclaimed, pressing his hands against the wall.

"Who's Hopper and why are you calling me El? My name's Jane," she said, rather defensively.

"Ok, Jane," it felt weird on his tongue to call his wife her official name. "Can you let me up? I need to see you," Mike begged.

Mike had known since he met her, she had a good heart and trusted strangers.

"Sure," El sounded like she didn't care.

The door buzzed and Mike quickly made his way into the building.

★★★

Mike knocked on the door, and the image that greeted him, was something like a nightmare.

El opened the door, a cigarette hanging from her lips, hickeys along her neck, tired eyes, a football jersey and practically no shorts.

"E-, Jane?" Mike corrects himself, looking at his wife.

"What?" She blows out smoke. "Are you coming in or not?" She sighs, not wanting to hold the door open.

"Erm, yeah," he shuffles in, and watches his wife slam the door shut, to turn around and stare at him.

"Who are you?" She asks, and it makes Mike's heart crack a little.

"Wha- El, it's me," Mike said, holding his t-shirt. "Come on, babe, I've known you since I was 12!"

"I met nobody when I was 12," she said, stubbing out her cigarette. "How do you know me?"

"I'm your husband... I married you 23 August 1989, my sister was our flower girl, your mom is Terry, your dad is a jack ass. We have kids, Annie, Luke and-" Mike said, before saying the final name of his children.

"Leia," they said together.

"Tell me you remember me, baby, please," Mike begged, reaching out for her.

"I don't,"

★★★

Mike woke up with a shock, Hopper stood over him, shaking him violently.

"Kid! You ok? Old man Robin found you out here," Hopper said, pulling him up.

"Hopper? You know who I am?" Mike asked, hoping that it wasn't a reminder of his weird dream.

"Of course I do! You're the nerdy Wheeler kid, that my little girl married. How can I not know you?" Hopper said, checking Mike for a concussion.

"El, where is she? Where are the kids?!" Mike said, running away from his father-in-law and saw his car totaled in a tree.

★★★

Mike ran to his home, the beautiful, simple 2 story house.

"El? Babe? Annie? Luke? Leia?" Mike called continuously, before his middle child walked out of their room.

"Daddy!" 3 years-old, Luke Wheeler ran to his father and into his warm arms.

"Daddy!" Came the collective calls of Luke's twin Leia, and their 5 year-old sister Annie.

"Annie, Luke, Leia," Mike held them each by their head and pulled all 3 into his arms.

The door opened, and a small person walked in, covered in snow, until she pulled her bobble hat off.

"Eleven," Mike sighed softly, making his way down the stairs.

She looked up, her eyes shining with unshed tears, missing her husband. Until she saw him walking down the stairs.

"Mike," she sniffles, jumping into his arms, when he was in distance to do so. She started crying and into the crook of his neck.

"Where have you been?!" She exclaims, holding his face in her hands. The cold metal of her rings pressing against his cheek.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you," he said, laughing, pressing his hands over hers, feeling her rings pressing into his palm.

"Try me,"