Chapter 4

*Lexi's POV*

"And one two, three four, five six, seven eight. That's it Katie! You've got it!" I smiled, stopping the motion of my wrist. I had been teaching Katie how to twirl and seeing as it was now nearly May, we were all hanging out in the garden. Well. That and when we last practiced inside, Zuma ran into me, knocking the baton out of my hand and smashing a window. I looked around at the pups, all of them darting around after each other in a game of tag. Blue was running after Marshall and jumped, biting the dally's tail. Marshall let out a yelp and spun around, Blue still hanging onto his tail.
"Blue!" Chase called. "What have me and your mother told you about biting uncle Marshall's tail?" The pup let go and looked at the ground.
"That it may be funny but it's not nice." Marshall looked like he was expecting the German Shepherd to correct his pup but instead, Chase replied,
"That's right."
"Hey!" Marshall snapped his head towards the other pup who was now laughing hysterically at his best friend. I smiled and shook my head as the pup continued their game.
"Katie, wanna try a spin now?" I asked.
"Sure."
"Ok so what you're gonna wanna do is get the baton really spinning like this," I showed her. "Then up." I threw my baton into the air and spun around twice before catching it again. "Like so." Katie copied my actions and smiled as the metal object landed in her hand again.
"That was great."
"Thanks. Hey, where's Ryder?"
"Over by the tree working on his history homework. You can help him if you want." She went over and joined my cousin in the shade of the tree. I sat down next to Everest who was laying on a blanket watching the others play.
"How come you're not playing?" I asked. "You love playing tag."
"I just don't feel like it. To be honest I've been kinda tired lately."
"Maybe you just need a good nights sleep?" I suggested.
"I have. Eight hours minimum a night. Me and Marshall haven't... you know, since before Christmas. I've just not felt like it."
"T M I!" I covered my ears like a child, making the husky laugh. I placed my hands back on my lap. "But yeah I get what you mean. I dunno what it could be."
It was strange. Everest was usually full of energy. But not recently. Actually she's been slowing down since...October.