Chapter 34

*Lexi's POV*

I was in the clinic, kneeling down so Rocky could see me. He was laying on the examination table, covered with towels and blankets to try and increase his body temperature. I knew that Katie was there but I couldn't hold back the tears.
"Rocky we've all been so worried." I held his paw as he stared at me with his once bright eyes.
"Zuma hasn't been able to sleep in your room. The pups have all missed you and so have I." Since we'd picked him up, the mix hadn't spoken a word. I looked down as I noticed Katie prepare a sedative so she could treat Rocky's injury.
"Why?" He whispered.
"Huh?"
"Why Lexi? I killed someone and hurt you. I don't deserve to live back with you guys. I'm a messed up mutt."
"Who told you that?" I asked, briefly looking at my now healed scars on my wrist
"Other strays."
"For a start you're not a stray, don't say 'others' like you're one because you're not. You have a family waiting for you at home. We all love you Rocks and nothing will ever change that. Your actions that day were completely justified - it was an act of defence, you accidentally hurting me doesn't matter because you saved us all when you did. And as for messed up, aren't we all?" I gave a weak laugh. "But I'll tell you this now," I leaned over and kissed the pup's nose. "You're a messed up masterpiece." The grey mix smiled slightly.
"I love you Lexi."
"I love you too buddy." Katie and me exchanged a nod and she gave Rocky the sedative. He flinched as the needle pierced his skin but I held his paw  the whole time.
"I promise I'll be here when you wake up."
"Promise?"
"Promise." The mix's eyes slowly closed and I thanked Katie before heading out to the waiting area where Zuma was still crying. I noticed that he had the green collar in his paws. I clipped the crystal and locket back onto it and smiled at the weeping Labrador. I picked up my phone and called Ryder.
"Hey Lex. Where are you? We're all starving."
"Well hello to you too."
"Lexi are you crying?"
"Meet me at Katie's now. And bring plenty of blankets and snacks because it's gonna be a long night."
"Why?"
I smiled as I responded. "We found Rocky."