Chapter 32

*Zuma's POV*

I was sat in Lexi's store window. It was about 8 pm and I was watching the rain fall outside. Now I like water as much as...I would say any pup but Rocky never liked water...

'Oh Wocky...' I sighed, leaning my head against the cool glass. Lexi looked up from her appointment book on the desk and gave a weak smile.
"We'll find him Zuma." She walked over and sat on the windowsill with me, petting my head. "The others may have given up but I certainly haven't."
"I know. I just miss him so bad." I whimpered.

Anyway, as I was saying, I love water but rain? Yuck! It makes me cold and smelly. I like the sound of the rain though, it's quite soothing and sometimes helps me sleep. I'd been bunking in with Lexi for the past six months. I've grown so accustomed to sleeping with my mate that I'm scared to be alone at night. I really miss him.

"I hope he's ok." I sighed, a tear falling down my cheek.
"Me too Zuma, me too." Lexi hugged me. I stood on my hind legs and rested my chin on her shoulder. We both closed our eyes as a few tears fell down our faces. We were jolted back to reality when we heard a loud thud followed by a bloodcurdling yelp. Without any more thought, me and Lexi ran outside and looked at the road. A dog shaped figure laying on the road. Not a car in sight - hit and run. I don't know why people would do things like that. Surely they'd feel better if they helped.

Me and the girl ran over to help the canine. They were cold, dirty, wet and incredibly thin. Luckily they were still breathing. I watched as their chest slowly rose and fell with shallow breaths, their ribs sticking out of their form. The dog had its eyes closed and blood trickling from its head.
"This isn't a Marshall job," Lexi sighed. "Zuma, talk to them and I'll call Katie to see if she can help."
I nodded and turned to face the dog. It was so dark now that I couldn't make out the fur colour. The fact that the dog was covered in mud didn't help me either. The animal groaned as their eyes flickered open. They were a golden brown colour.
"Hey pup, you'we gonna be okay. I'm Zuma and this is Lexi, she's calling our fwiend, Katie to help you now but twy not to move." I spoke in a calm voice. The mystery dog just stared at me, shocked but also ashamed. What was that about?
"Let's get him back to Katie's." Lexi nodded as she carefully slid her arms under the dog and carried him to the clinic. Lexi stopped to grab a blanket to wrap the dog in. As we stepped into the light of her shop, we gasped and cried as we realised who was laying in her arms.

Rocky.