Chapter 16

*Skye's POV*

"Almost There Skye." Lexi said, petting my head.
"I. Can't." I panted. We had been in here for three hours and I'd had four of our five pups. Exhausted wasn't the word.
"Yes you can." Chase said firmly.
"I can't."
"Skye look at me." He walked away from my side and looked me in the eye. My vision was slightly blurry. He placed a paw on mine.
"You can do it Skye." I hated it when he gave me eye contact like this. He moved back to where he was before and kissed my head. I gave one last push and relaxed, resting my head on Chase's side and listening to his steady heartbeat.
"Well done babe." He smiled, nuzzling me.
"I am so glad that's over with!" I gasped. "Oh and just so you know, I didn't mean it when I said you weren't coming near me again."
"We all knew you didn't mean it." Lexi smiled, stroking my ear. I looked around at the five pups and one by one I cleaned them and pulled them close to me so they could feed. The four girls all had my physique but Chase's colouring. I reached around and nuzzled the last pup, a boy with my mate's physique and my colouring. I picked him up by the scruff of the neck as I did with his sisters but when his body left the bed, he hung limply from my mouth. He didn't move a paw, he didn't yelp, nothing.

No. No. No!

I set him down in between me and Chase who was now laying opposite me.

This can't be happening.

He lay there, lifeless. Lexi wasn't here with us, she had to deal with the other pups, I didn't want to cry and I was too tired to cry anyway. I looked at Chase while he just stared at the still pup, tears forming in his eyes. I placed my small paw on top of his and looked at him sadly.
"The worst thing is we were told this might happen." I sighed. Chase nodded. He nuzzled our son and I felt my eyes droop closed. I didn't want to sleep. I wanted to comfort him, I wanted to grieve. But I was too tired to stay awake.