Chapter 36

*Zuma's POV*

It'd been two months since Rocky had come home. Over this time, he'd got his physical strength back and was able to join us on missions again. But...he still didn't seem to be his old self. It was almost like he was looking for a reason to be happy. I felt awful that I couldn't be that reason but I know the mix still loves me.

I sat at the kitchen table with Lexi and Ryder. Lexi was checking out the finances for the studio and Ryder was studying for his upcoming exams. Hard to think he was nearly done with school. A cockapoo cross shepherd came bounding in and hopped up next to me, wagging her tail happily.
"Uncle Zuma, can we go surfing? Please." She pleaded, looking up at me with a giant pair of shiny eyes. I smiled down at her.
"It's ok with me Xena, Just ask youw mothew." I nuzzled her.
"Okay!" She yipped, running off in search of Skye. As the pup left, Rocky walked in. He looked down; his eyes dull, no smile on his face not a sign of happiness. Lexi looked up and smiled at the grey canine but her expression was only returned weakly. Ryder glanced across and she nodded, a signal that she wanted a talk with Rocky. I decided to give them a few and went to get my stuff for surfing.

As I walked into mine and Rocky's room, I looked at the pictures of us that we had pinned up. There were plenty of them. I smiled, recalling each and every memory that was connected with the pieces of paper. My mate was smiling in all of them. I'd give anything to see that smile again. There was a scratch at the door as Skye poked her head around.
"Hi Zum, is it ok if you could take the other pups with you when you go surfing? I have to pick Blue and the twins up from pup school." She smiled.
"Suwe, it's no twouble."
"Thanks, I've told them to be good."
"They always awe." I reassured her. As she left I sniggered to myself. More like her and Chase want some 'alone time' - damn I thought the first litter would've tired them out!

I was walking past the kitchen when Lexi called me over.
"Hey Lex, what's up?"
"Could you keep an eye on Rocky for me please? I'm really worried about him and I don't know what could help." The girl looked desperate, I knew she'd had trouble sleeping at night because she worried so much about Rocky. I can't blame her - she's raised him since day 1.
"Suwe. If I get any ideas, I'll give you a call." I smiled.
"Thanks Zum." She scratched my ear.

I trotted over to meet the pups and noticed Rocky with them. His tail was wagging! I was so happy. I watched as the five youngsters climbed all over him and licked him to death. I chuckled as I walked over.
"We'we just headed to the beach. Wanna join?" I nuzzled the mix as he stood up.
"As long as I can stay dry."
"Same with me!" Cassie yipped, standing between Rocky's front legs.
"Suwe." I laughed as we walked to the beach.