2

"Who are you?" The brunette asked when she opened the door. Rio stood by his decision to come to New Orleans alone.
"Hello, I'm Tiberius. Please, call me Rio." He held out a hand. "You must be the latest addition to the Mikaelson family."
"You know about me? Who are you?" Hayley stood more cautious now. Rebekah came up behind her.
"Let him in, Hayley. This is Rio. The nicest vampire you'll ever meet. Scratch that, the nicest person you'll ever meet."
"Charming as ever, Rebekah." Rio smiled. He walked in through the door and she pulled him into a tight hug. He hugged her back and soothed her, rubbing circles on her back. "Don't worry, Bex. It's all going to be fine."
"Isn't that my line?" Klaus's voice rang out.
"Klaus."
"Rio." Klaus walked closer and pulled Rio into another hug. Hayley just stared at the interaction before her with a confused look on her face.
"What world am I in?" She looked down and patted her stomach. "Am I still pregnant here?"
"Nice to meet you Hayley." Rio chuckled.
"How do you know my name?"
"Rebekah just said it."
"Oh."
"Why don't we move this party into the living room?"
"Oh yes, and Rio can shout at you for your horrific behaviour."
"What'd you do this time, Niklaus?"
"Want some scotch first?"
"Niklaus Mikaelson." Rio said sternly.
"At least let us move from the hallway, into the living room."
"All right, that's reasonable." Rio walked deeper into the house, until he came by the living room. "Now what's up?"
"Klaus daggered Elijah then just handed him over to Marcel." Rebekah said, a smug tone in her voice knowing Rio would scold Klaus and there was nothing funnier than that.
"You did what?!" Klaus had the decency to look down, ashamed. "Marcel, as in your adoptive son Marcel who supposedly died?"
"Yes, that Marcel."
"And you handed him your big brother, who you also daggered?"
"Yes."
"Klaus!"
"Well, I didn't kill your brothers. Surely that counts for something!"
"No, you didn't. Instead you killed your own."
"He's not dead. He's just in a mystical sleep."
"As close to dead as he can be?"
"Yes."
"Niklaus Mikaelson, how many times must we go over this. How could you do this to Elijah- Elijah who's done nothing but seek your redemption? Elijah, who's been there by your side no matter what. Elijah, who is older than you- the closest brother you have. You have gone a thousand years without being the one to dagger him, but all of a sudden you dagger him twice in two years- and no I have not forgotten last year when you daggered him after promising him family."
"I-"
"No, I'm speaking. Klaus, Elijah's been by your side no matter what. He tolerated you in your darkest time, was by your side during your most joyful. He'd never betrayed you, except when he tried to kill you two years ago- but then you daggered him. So you guys were even. Elijah rivals with Rebekah even, for the position of your favoured sibling, and we all know how much you love Rebekah. What could have possibly moved you to do this?"
"Damn, who is this guy? I've never seen Klaus look so sorry." Hayley whispered to Rebekah.
"Rio is Klaus's closest friend. And his most pure. Rio's never killed, not a human nor a vampire or any other supernatural species. He spent time with Klaus, like half a century and they formed this seriously deep bond. They kept in touch over the years, and Rio's one of the few people who can bring Klaus back from his path of destruction. Klaus looks up to him. Klaus may be older, but physically, Rio's older and so he became an older brother to Klaus. Klaus actually respects him." Rebekah whispered back before tuning back to the two men.
"It was a way to gain Marcel's trust. See, something is happening in this city. The witches have a hold on my unborn child, and Marcel holds the one thing these witches want in return. A weapon. I intend to take back this city- the city that is rightfully mine, and keep the weapon for myself."
"As much as I wish it, I know my lectures aren't what is stopping you from murdering those witches. So spill."
"You wouldn't believe that you're starting to have a positive impact on me?"
"Not that positive. I know you Klaus. When you're threatened your first instinct is kill those against you. It's going to take another few hundred years before I've successfully condition you into stopping your murderous side."
"The witches have linked one of their own to Hayley. We deviate from their plan, and Hayley- along with my unborn child- is dead."
"Why don't they get back their own weapon?"
"They can't use magic. Marcel's got a secret weapon that can tell when the New Orlean coven uses magic."
"So how did they do the linking spell?"
"The one who did it is dead."
"Now that your up to date, Rio. I have a question. What's the plan?" Hayley asked, eager to save the one Mikaelson who'd been nice to her.
"Well, that depends what plan you mean, love-- my plan for global domination, or Rebekah's plan to find love in a cruel, cruel world?"
"The plan to rescue Elijah. You know, the good brother? The one who is now in the possession of your mortal enemy after you stabbed him in the back?"
"Neither of us are mortal, little wolf. And it was in the front, if we're being specific."
"Could you actually try to look like you regret it?" Rio questioned.
"What's done is done. No use weeping about it." Klaus replied, his tone nonchalant.
"You two said that you would get him back. So is there a plan, or what?"
" Okay. Well, firstly, Marcel is not my mortal enemy as you put it- he's my friend. Albeit one who is unaware that I'm trying to sabotage his hold over the supernatural community of the French Quarter, but a friend nonetheless. And secondly, I daggered Elijah in order to gain Marcel's trust. If I had known he would place my brother in the hands of a particularly nasty teenage witch, I certainly would have weighed my options a bit differently. And thirdly Sister, please."
"And thirdly, the plan, as you have demanded, is for Niklaus to simply ask Marcel for Elijah back."
"That's... that's not the whole plan is it?" Hayley sounded a little taken aback. It was obvious she expected something more complex.
"Please! Klaus may be a miserable excuse for a sibling, but there is none more diabolical."
"And that's only the Plan A, love! There's always a Plan B."
"And, what's Plan B?"
"War." Klaus smiled sadistically. Rio cleared his throat.
"What's Plan B again, Klaus?"
"Not War?" He said, this time unsure.
"That's right. Don't worry, Hayley. I'll think up another plan." There was a knock on the door. This time Rebekah and Rio went to go answer it.
"Hi, Rebekah." Anya stood on the doorstep with a backpack. "Hi Rio."