3

"Yeah, she's fine- I don't know. She must've teleported or something. Don't worry, I'm sorry you got worried. I know, Yeah. Alright, see you later." Rio hung up- he was talking to a worried Samantha- and turned to his step-daughter. "Anya!"
"I'm sorry, but I didn't want to stay behind."
"Do you know how much you worried Samantha?" He scolded.
"Whatever."
"Anya!"
"What?"
"Just, go find a room upstairs. We'll talk about this later." Anya turned and stormed off. Rio got some bourbon out of the liquor cabinet and sat down. Hayley came and sat next to him.
"How tough is it? When they get to her age?"
"Extremely. I wish you good luck in the future."
"But you wouldn't want to not have her."
"Of course I wouldn't. She may not be my biological daughter, but she's my daughter in every other way. Like the way you couldn't get rid of your baby, there are some things you just can't give up."
"You know about that huh?"
"Klaus is my closest friend, and vice versa. He told me."
"What's the deal with that anyhow? Why would you be friends with Klaus?"
"He has his pittfalls, but he's not that bad. Just a broken person."
"And you want to try fix him." Hayley stated.
"No, I think he needs to fix himself. I can give a little push and shove, but at the end of the day, only he has the power to save himself."
"Still doesn't answer why you're friends with him."
"When I first met Klaus, I was a newborn vampire. There was this vampire, Katherine who'd convinced my human family that she was harmless and so my father, a vampire hunter by the way, took her in. Katherine started to toy with both of my brothers, dated them both, fed on them both. She had no limits. I couldn't let her carry on, so I told her to back off, or I'd go to her worst enemy- Klaus. I'd done my research. It didn't go to plan. Katherine turned me instead and fed me a blood bag to complete my transition. I had to leave my house. I ran off, I'd heard he was in a town not too far away. So I headed there, and I was hungry so I started to feed on somene. I couldn't stop, I almost killed her but then i was pulled off. Her name was Charlotte. She directed me to Klaus and I went there and told him where the- Katherine was hiding out. He was impressed by how loyal I was to my brothers and told me I could join him whenever I wanted to. I spent a year with Charlotte, controlling my hunger and learning how to be a vampire. Then we went to Klaus and hung out with him for the next half a century. Then we parted ways and met up occasionally over the years. He started to remind me of the brothers I left behind and we became really close friends. He respected me enough to respect my lifestyle. Well, most of the time. Klaus just became one of the people closest to me. He's my best friend."
"Yeah, still don't get it. I mean you're a nice guy and you're best friends with a psychopath who daggers his siblings when they get on his nerves."
"Yeah, he's still a work in progress." Rio shook his head and took a gulp from his glass. "Alright, I'm going to go talk to Anya."
"Yeah, you're going to need to help me understand that too. It's literally been ten minutes."
"Anya's not mad, she's worried, and for good reason. There are some times where you don't give the kid too much time. Sometimes you need to go up and talk it out. Plus she's a teenager. Leaving her to think about it isn't the best idea. She'll overthink it, sometimes she'll be more angry and other times more insecure. Plus bourbon helps."
"I'll keep that in mind. How's she human?"
"She's a witch. And it's a really long story. Her mother- Charlotte- was born a long time ago. She had a kid- Anya, and Anya's biological dad didn't want a daughter. He told Charlotte he killed the baby. Charlotte ran away, bumped into the Originals. She was powerful, but she couldn't do magic without a source. Finn helped her out, and he turned her. Then her ex found her and well things happened. Then late 1800s I was turned, and I told you that story. Then sometime, almost two years ago, Charlotte found out Anya was still alive, and we brought her back with us, after a few complications. I adopted her as my daughter a couple months later. Then last year, when Finn died, she died. When an original vampire dies, his or her sire line dies with them."
"I'm sorry. I mean, I can't say I know what you're going through cos I've never had anyone to lose. I was in foster homes since I was a baby. The closest I've ever gotten to anyone was my foster mum, and she kicked me out when I turned into a wolf so that's where that went."
"I know a bit about sucky family, so you know. But welcome to the Mikaelson family. The most dysfunctional, makes you want rip your hair out, family you'll ever meet and have."
"Are you part of it?"
"Yeah."
"So you and Elijah are the noble, good ones, and Rebekah and Klaus are the temperamental crazy ones?"
"Yep. Which are you?"
"I'll be the black sheep that doesn't fit in."
"We've already got a black sheep. Finn, but he died."
"Which one was the other brother?"
"Kol?" Hayley nodded. "He was the prankster."
"Alright. You tell me which one I am."
"Moral, like Elijah and I. Protective of your family, as demostrated by your connection to your baby, like Klaus. Badass, like Rebekah. You're a mixture of all."
"Great." She stopped as though she remembered something. "I'm so sorry, I distracted you from going up."
"It's fine." He stood up. "I'll see you later. Maybe tomorrow."
"See ya." Rio walked up, and listened for Anya, to see which room she picked. He smiled when he realised it was the one right next to his. He knocked on her door.
"Come in, Rio."
"Hey, kid." He said. She lay on the bed, her laptop in front of her. "I'm sorry."
"It's okay."
"I just can't lose you."
"I can't lose you either."
"You know, for the longest time, your mother wanted a child. She still thought of you and who you would become, but she always thought a kid would be in her future. When she found out you were alive, she was the happiest I'd ever seen her. Happier than when I agreed we would adopt, even. Now I'm not saying she wouldn't have loved the other child, but she lived for nine hundred years with the guilt of not being there to have saved you. Now I wasn't ready to adopt a kid, because I was a vampire. I didn't want to doom the child, but I also didn't want to see him or her die. I was also scared of killing him or her."
"You're not going to lose me Rio. I plan on staying with you for a long time."
"I know, but still. I'm scared."
"Why don't you show me around New Orleans?"
"Sure. It is a beautiful place. You ready?" Anya looked down at her outfit.
"Yeah." She shut her laptop and Rio helped her up. "Let's go."