19

"You see, I heard from a friend of a friend, that you were into torturing vampires." Rio heard Klaus's familiar voice and smirked. "But taking Rio, pissing off the most powerful vampires- not a smart move."
"How did you get in here?" Wes asked, worried.
"Your ward."
"What did you do to Aaron?"
"Relax, he's alive. He was only too happy to let me in. Rio would've killed me if I killed anyone to rescue him. That being said, you're not anyone."
"Who are you?"
"Me? I'm Klaus."
"I thought you said Klaus was a human friend of yours?"Wes turned to Rio.
"I lied. You kidnapped me, am I supposed to tell you the truth?" Rio asked incredulous.
"Why lie about who he is?"
"Because he's my friend. Do you think I'd tell you he's a vampire so you can try to hunt him down and try to kidnap him to do tests on him? You'd be a really irritating incovenience."
"What else did you lie about?"
"More or less everything. My age."
"Was the bit about the oldest vampires true?"
"Yes, it was. I couldn't think of a lie for that." Rio lied once more. "I'm usually pretty quick at thinking on my feet, or you know, strapped to a table, but not this time."
"What bit about the oldest vampires?"  Klaus asked.
"You know, how the older a vampire gets the weaker they eventually become and then they slowly dessiccate instead of dying. You should know this stuff."
"Forget to invite me to the party?" A british voice came from the top of the stairs.
"Rebekah!"
"Hey!" Klaus said, offended. "How come I didn't get a greeting like that?"
"I'm sorry." Rio said condescendingly. "Oh my God, Klaus! It's you. Thank you for coming."
"Better." Klaus nodded, not that Rio could see.
"Can I get out of these restraints now?" Rio asked. "I might die if left like this. And my kidney hurts. Damn regeneration really hurts."
"Ah yes. Rebekah, do me a favour and keep an eye on the bad doctor. If he tries to do anything funny don't hesitate to- well just get imaginative. But don't kill him. Not yet, at least."
"Happy to." She smirked. Rio felt his binds being loosened and Klaus helped him sit up.
"Thanks, mate."
"Yeah well, you keep Anya from killing me for not telling her you were kidnapped and we'll call it even."
"Deal." Rio chuckled. "You know, Wes. You might want to rethink some life choices. You know- the whole kidnap, torture, study, torture- well, it kind gets old."
"Does that mean you're not going to kill me?" He asked.
"Aaron's lost too many people in his life, you're all he has left. Don't blow it."
"Rio, do you honestly think I'm going to let him go?" Klaus asked his friend.
"Well, seeing as I'm going to need help getting out of here, I do believe you're going to be quite busy."
"And what about Rebekah? She can help you out of here."
"I don't want to spoil her clothes. I don't want to get my blood all over- I wanna say dress, are you wearing a dress, Bex?"
"No, I'm not. But I am wearing a pretty cute top." She laughed.
"Your literally inside out and you're worried about Rebekah's clothes?"
"Just sew me up, Klaus. The vampire healing will do the rest."
"You forgot the magic word."
"Now." Rio demanded.
"Alright, alright." There was a pause before Rio felt the needle piercing his skin and being sewed on. He grunted.
"On second thought, maybe you could, I don't know, snap my neck and then do it."
"I don't want to snap your neck. You're in enough pain, already."
"That way I won't be feeling a needle pierce my lovely, delicate skin." Rio replied sarcastically.
"Okay. On three. One-" Rio felt a sharp pain.

"Ugh." Rio said, as he started to wake up. He opened his eyes before he realised his eyeballs were growing back slowly. His eyesight hadn't properly returned yet.
"Hey there, soldier." Klaus said. "Rise and Shine. You've been out for hours. I guess, you just stayed sleeping even after your neck healed. I went out, came back, and had to sit with your brother before you woke up. I've been traumatised!"
"You're the traumatised one? I was the one who had to listen to your whinging about Rio? 'Do you think he's dead? I hope he's not dead. How long do you reckon he's gonna take for his eyes to grow back?' and a bunch more stuff."
"I forgot about the neck cramps. And the headaches you two cause."
"Put these on. It's sunglasses. Otherwise people'll look at you all weird for having no eyes."
"People look at him all weird, anyway. Sunglasses won't do anything." Rio heard Damon's voice.
"Hey Damon. You survived?"
"Yep, so have you it seems."
"Is Elena okay?"
"Yep."
"Enzo?"
"Just how many vampires were taken?" Klaus asked.
"I think that's it."
"Enzo skipped town. Told me he hated me, I'm a monster. I saved his life, told him we were even and that's the last I saw of him."
"Maybe we'll see him soon." Rio said, then winced. "Well, when I get my sight back."
"Come to the Grill with me Rio."
"Why can't we stay here? In the boarding house."
"Because Katherine's dying upstairs and I promised not to gloat over her soon-to-be corpse. I haven't even gone up there."
"How selfless of you." Rio said, sarcastically. "I'll meet you there. I want to see her- I mean- I just want to go talk to her. One last time. Say my goodbye."
"I'll wait down here. You're going to need help getting to the grill."
"Okay." Rio felt for the stairs and made his way up. Using his ears he managed to find his way to the room Katherine was in, and heard her cough.
"Rio? What, you doing the sunglasses thing now, Rio?" She smirked. Rio walked to the bed and sat on the edge.
"Well, you know. Eyes carved out, thought it might be creepy walking around like that."
"Hmm, well it suits you. Even in a darkened room."
"So you're dying, huh?"
"Yep. Lived a long, good life. Fought the fight and all that."
"I'm sorry." Rio said.
"You're sorry? For what? All I ever did was make your life hell."
"Maybe, but you really did love Stefan. Even I could see that. I mean, you shouldn't have played with Damon like that, but I'm sorry you're dying. Just as I thought there might be a tiny bit of good in you."
"Thanks, Angelo."
"How'd you know my middle name?"
"You can't let a girl go with a little bit of mystery?" She asked. "I think I'll call you Angel."
"Alright, Rina."
"Rina?"
"Well, you know. If you're giving me a nickname," He shrugged.
"I've never had anyone give me a nickname."
"Well, you can check it off your bucket list." He said and stood up to leave. "Goodbye."