16

Rio searched for a way out while the lovers talked. He clanged on the bars, tried to break them, but to no avail. At last Aaron came down.
"What the hell is this place?" Aaron wondered.
"Aaron?" Elena asked.
"Great. Mini-Wes."
"Shut up, Damon."
"I didn't know what Wes was doing, I didn't even know there was a basement down here." He denied.
"Aaron, you have to help us." Elena pleaded.
"I wanna know the truth. When we met at Megan's memorial, you asked me a bunch of questions." Aaron tried to load a gun with wooden bullets, though they all fell to the floor.
"Slick hands, cowboy." Rio rolled his eyes at his brother.
"Yeah? Well, I've never used a gun before, and I never killed anyone either unlike you." He directed at Elena.
"What are you talking about?"
"Can I get my phone, at least? I really need to talk to someone." Rio pleaded.
"Just let me get the truth first." Aaron negotiated. "Wes said a vampire killed Megan."
"And you thought it was Elena?" Damon asked.
"No. Megan was inside this house. I hadn't even been invited yet. You just-"
"Wes also said a vampire killed my parents. Maybe that was you too."
"No, Aaron. That's impossible."
"Why else would you be so interested in me?"
"Calm down."
" Why else would you pretend to be my friend? She's a vampire!"
"And so are Damon and I. Or have you start to think low enough of your guardian, that you think it wouldn't be that big of a leap for him to have kidnapped humans too?" Rio asked. "But being a vampire isn't always a dark thing. I mean, there's the downside of living forever, but it doesn't mean you're evil. Elena came to Whitmore college to try to finish her human life off. She was only turned into a vampire last year, in high school. Coming to college, making new friends- which includes you, Aaron- is part of her getting closure to her human life. She's not done living just because she's undead. She's still Elena. Being a vampire doesn't change who you are. We still have souls, we still have a heart, whether or not it beats. We can still feel." Rio told him.
"How long have you been alive?"
"I was born in 1834. I turned in 1864."
"That's not natural."
"Maybe not."
"Why do you deserve to live longer than the rest of us?"
"We're not the same species, dude. Moths don't live longer than twenty four hours, but you don't see humans wondering why they live longer than said moth. I didn't make the rules. I didn't want to be a vampire. It's just what I am."
"That's different."
"Not really. We're not humans anymore. That doesn't mean we can't care about humans, most of us do. It just means we aren't completely the same. So please can I have my phone? It's getting late."
"What is up with you and your phone?"
"I need to call my daughter."
"Stepdaughter." Damon chimed.
"Daughter. I did adopt her, Damon." Rio told his brother.
"She a vampire too?"
"No, she's mortal. It's a long story. But I just need to have my phone or any phone asap. I can't have her coming aywhere near Virginia."
"Why not?"
"That's personal."
"You have boundaries now, Rio? Oh no, wait. You've always kept one secret or another." Damon remarked.
"Shut up Damon."
"Why don't you want your daughter in this town?"
"I told you. It's personal."
"Aaron, he's got his reason. Leave it alone." Elena stood up for him. "And come on, Damon. You know exactly why, and unless you want him to spill, shut up."
"Thanks, Elena." Rio smiled.
"What's the secret? I want to know what's so big you're keeping your daughter out. Don't fathers usually want to be close to their kid?"
"There are extenuating circumstances."
"Is something happening? Is there a reasons all humans should keep out or something?"
"No, I just want her away from these vampires. At least with Klaus and Elijah, she'll be with people who'll make sure she's kept safe."
"And how do you know that?" Damon said. "What's to say Klaus won't kill her himself?"
"Because he knows how much she means to me? Because Elijah and Rebekah are also there? Because she's beginning to grow on him too? Because not even Marcel would-"
"Who's Marcel?"
"He was like a son to Klaus once, some two hundred years ago. Klaus raised him since he was a kid."
"Oh great. Mini-Klaus. Just what we need."
"Yeah, they're going through a sort of a rough patch right now, but anyways as I was saying. The fact that Klaus is ninety nine point nine recurring percent invincible could also have something to do with it."
"Guys!" Elena stopped the two. "Stop it, you're going off point."
"Why don't you want your kid in town?" Aaron asked once more.
"Her mother died, so Virginia has bad memories for me. I'm only here because my brother needed emotional support. Sounds like the other does too."
"I do not."
"I just found out you were held here, tortured for five years. You best believe you and I are having a sit down."
"Whatever you guys's issues are, sort it out later. I just want some answers. You killed my parents, Elena. It was a vampire. You're getting close to me. My entire family has a history of death by vampire. Connect the dots. Am I to believe that you're an innocent vampire here to just befriend me after all those coincidences?"
"Yes." Damon cut in. "She's not the one that killed your parents. That was all me."
"What did you just say?" Aaron moved to Damon and pointed the gun at him. "Start talking."
"Damon, what are you doing?" Elena asked.
"In 1958, after the fire Enzo was dead, so I had to take on my revenge plan solo." He explained how he and Enzo talked about what each of them would do once they got out, and how he planned to kill every last member of the Whitmore family except for one who would carry on the family line until there was a whole new family to murder leaving one alive again and so on.
"Damon!"
"How many Whitmores have you killed?"
"Since 1958? I lost count."
"When was the last one?" Damon didn't say a word. Angrily, she asked again "Damon, when was the last one?!"
"A few months ago. Her name was Sara. Had to go all the way to Charleston to find her. It was a weekend trip. You didn't know."
"But we were together a few months ago."
"Starting the summer of our lives."
"I had no idea!" She sounded disgusted.
"Told you it wasn't pretty." Damon shrugged. Aaron shot him in the head and Elena gasped in shock.
"No! Oh God, Damon." Elena said kneeling next to him. Rio tried to rush to his brother, though stopped by the bars before he realised the bullet wasn't to the heart.
"You realise this doesn't make you any better than Damon. He was put through torture and his instinct was to kill and make suffer those who harmed him. He killed off your family, torturing you mentally and you did the same." Rio told him.