20

Rio walked downstairs and felt his eyes growing back quicker. He could see better now. His eyesight was that of a human's, but better than nothing. He took of the sunglasses. He and Klaus left after a quick goodbye but they bumped into Caroline walking towards the boarding house, with a hint of embarrassment on her face.
"Hey, Caroline."
"Hi Rio. Hi Klaus, I thought you were leaving town, Klaus?" Her tone was accusing.
"I was, I just had one last thing to do. Rescue Rio from torture, sew him back up."
"What are you talking about?"
"The Salvatore duo didn't tell you?" Klaus asked.
"No. Um, sorry."
"Why are you apologising Caroline? You never apologise to Klaus. Why do you two seem a little, what's the word, awkward?"
"We're not awkward-" Klaus started.
"We're the opposite of awkward." Caroline pointed.
"Well you don't look relaxed. Or comfortable. Hey, Caroline, you got some leaf in your hair." Rio pointed out.
"Sorry, I was looking for Matt, then I got lost so I decided to just hang out there for a while."
"You know these woods like the back of your hand." He told her and turned to Klaus. "Don't you agr- Wait you have a bit of dirt on your top."
"Oh that?" Klaus brushed it off.
"Wait a second- you two? In the woods?"
"What? No! Pshh!" Caroline tried to brush it away.
"You're getting awfully defensive."
"I- It was a one time only thing. It's never going to happen again."
"It's okay, Caroline. I'm not judging." Rio shrugged at her. He could see perfectly now. "I'm best friends with the idiot."
"No one can know about it."
"If I didn't know you any better, I'd say you're ashamed of me." Klaus said, mock hurt.
"You know what? I don't have time for this right now. I'm going inside." She started walking away before she whirled around and faced Klaus. "But you! Did you forget the other promise you made? Other than leaving town?"
"I promise you I didn't gloat over her soon-to-be corpse."
"Oh he didn't. He didn't even go upstairs."
"How do I know you're not just covering for him?"
"Because I wouldn't hesitate throwing him to the wolves. Besides, I'm sure he'd like it if you punished him." Rio smirked.
"Go away!" Caroline smacked him and Klaus laughed. "Bye!" She said forcefully.

"So, what with saving me and all, when did that happen?" Rio asked Klaus when they were alone.
"Um, Rebekah and I saved you, brought you to the boarding house, and once I saw that you were healing, I heard that Matt was out in the woods. Rebekah and I went out, and she rescued him, while I assured Caroline that her friend was safe."
"I'm sure that's all you assured her about." Rio smiled innocently.
"Oh, get a life!"
"Hey, you teased me about Lottie, for the first decade or so. It's only right I get to tease you."
"Anyways, then I came back, talked to Damon for a little while-"
"You left her in the woods?"
"No, what do you think I am, I walked her to her car, and we parted ways. She probably just wanted to clear her head a little first."
"I'll bet."
"Oh would you stop with your retorts?"
"Nope. I'm having a hell of a lot of fun."
"Rio!" Bonnie called after them, stopping him in his tracks.
"Hello, Bonnie?" He sounded a little unsure.
"Hi. Sorry, um. I'm an anchor, right? You know all this, right?"
"Yep."
"So I can see into the Other side. I can see Charlotte." This got Rio instantly alert.
"What?"
"She has a message for you." Bonnie told him. "She says, she loves you, and she's always there with you. Always right behind you. She wants me to tell you when you go back to Anya, give her a hug and a kiss from her, and also that you should live your life. Don't change. She'll always love you, and she's sorry about your kidney."
"Lottie?" Rio asked. Tears started to fall from his eyes.
"She says don't lose yourself in grief. She really appreciates all you've done for Anya."
"I won't," He said. "Do vampires see each other in the Other side?"
"No."
"I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing."
"She told me to remind you witches see each other on the Other side though. She'll always be looking over you, so don't worry. She says not to be mad at everyone here, except Tyler- you can hate Tyler all you want for what he did, and to not leave just yet. There's things going on."
"Oh, crap." He shook his head. "What is it."
"She's says she's not allowed to say."
"Why not?"
"She won't let me know. She's also saying 'she's not dead'. Not she as in Charlie. But she as in someone else she."
"She who?"
"It's private stuff between you two, but she says you confronted her in the late eighteen hundreds, after you were a vampire. 1878?"
"What do you mean she's not dead? I'm pretty sure she is."
"She's someplace else, you won't find her." Bonnie repeated for Charlotte.
"Is she killing?"
"No. There's no one for her to kill. Her little groupies are desiccated. She can't eat anyone else- wait, what the hell are you two talking about?"
"Don't worry, Bonnie. It's a secret."
"Charlie says she's isolated, and you probably won't be able to find her. Witches."
"Okay, thanks. It's a relief knowing she's not a menace to society."
"Charlie has to go now. But she says if you decide to stay, make sure to keep an eye out."
"Thank you Bonnie."
"Anytime, Rio." Bonnie walked away and Rio sat down. Charlotte was there, with Bonnie. Witches could see each other. Since Charlotte was a witch-vampire hybrid, was she trying to tell him her witch side ensured she wasn't alone, and could see other witches? After a few miutes he stood up and he and Klaus started to walk away and into town.
"Who's not dead?"
"My mother. I mean I always knew there was a chance, but she wasn't leaving a trail so I didn't think anything was happening."
"You mean-"
"Exactly."

"Rio." A voice stopped him, as he and Klaus walked together. He turned to see Amelia.
"Amelia?"
"Hey, how are you? I heard you were back in Mystic Falls but I haven't seen you around."
"Yeah, I was mainly at the Boarding house or the Grill. Just recently I went to Whitmore College. Got tied up for a while." Klaus stifled a laugh. "Not funny, Klaus."
"Your wording is a little funny. Hi, Amelia."
"Hello, Klaus." She turned to Rio. "Hey, I'm really sorry about your wife. She seemed pretty nice."
"She was." Rio smiled sadly. "So, um, I didn't realise you stayed in town."
"Yeah. Just been looking around. Not many things have changed in the last century and a half."
"Yeah, but some things have. I'm betting it changed a lot though, in the last millenia. I'm sure Klaus could tell stories."
"That's nice."
"So, where's Victor?"
"He's around. I just wanted to look around a little, so, there's that."
"Oh. Well, how are you?"
"I'm fine. How are you?"
"I'm good. I'm dealing." Rio told her. "We were about to head back, leave town. In a few hours or so, at least."
"Oh. Well, it was really nice to see you."
"It was nice to see you too." And she walked away.
"Well, that was awkward." Klaus commented.
"Shut up, Mr-I-Just-Had-Sex-In-The-Woods."
"Let that go, already."