5

Marcel was walking down Dauphine Street with his vampires. He started his lecture. "Big event tonight, a lot of people drinking, a lot of eyes watching. I don't want any trouble, which means no witches. Send word through the Cauldron-- any witches come here, we kill them. All except this girl." Marcel held up a picture of Anya. One Rio gave him. "She's off limits. Her daddy's close with the Originals, and he's older than all of you. Hell she's older than all of you, so no touching her. She's not with the New Orleans witches, and she's the only witch- resident or visitor- allowed with her magic. You try hurt her, and there's nothing I can do about it, she's protected. More so than anybody else. I knew her mama once, good woman so I owe it to her to keep her kid safe. But, while you're at it, no Originals, I don't like how Rebekah's been snooping around. I got my girl Cami coming, her and a little friend of hers, I want eyes on them at all times-- eyes only. Alright? I don't want anyone getting anywhere near either of them. Everybody's got a post, everybody keeps an eye out. You cool?" All the vampires nodded and headed to their stations.

Later that evening Anya forced Rio to join the celebrations outside. They wandered outside before Anya was drawn to a guy playing a fiddle.
"Miss your boyfriend?" Rio teased.
"It's been a year. I'm sure he's over me by now."
"Doubtful. You have a way with people." There was another girl watching with an older woman next to her. Anya walked over, seeing a girl her age for the first time since her trip to New Orleans.
"Hi!" She greeted.
"Hello." The other replied. She seemed a little reluctant.
"I'm Anya. New into this town."
"I'm Davina. Nice to meet you." She smiled and held out her hand. Anya shook it and the two seemed to realise the other was a witch. "Witch." Davina snarled, quietly so that Cami wouldn't overhear.
"You're active." Anya said, curiously. "I thought witches couldn't do magic in this town."
"They can't. I can. You've done magic recently. How comes Marcel didn't come after you?"
"You must be that secret weapon." Anya came to a realisation. "Hi, as I said. I'm new into this town. Plus I'm pretty powerful, maybe even more than you. And I'm protected."
"Who are you?" Cami was a few steps away, and Rio was talking to her but also ready to step in if anything happened between the two girls.
"My name is Anya. Marcel knew my mum once. Almost a century ago, back when he was friends with the Originals. And my dad too."
"How is that possible?"
"How are you so powerful?" Anya shot back. Davina quietened. "You keep your secrets, I'll keep mine."
"How do you control your magic?" Davina asked.
"My mum helped me. I can help you if you want."
"I'll talk to Marcel. He'll bring you to me, if he allows it."
"Do you always do what he says?" Anya asked.
"Yeah, he saved my life. He saved me. I owe him, and the witches not doing magic is beneficial to the both of us. He's like a dad."
"I feel the same way about Rio. Except sometimes I don't do what he says. Like, he didn't want me to come with him to New Orleans but I snuck out anyways."
"All I want to do is leave here. I don't know why you'd want to come."
"Because Rio was coming here, and I didn't want him to go without me."
"Why didn't he want you to come?"
"My mum died. Last year, so he's afraid that I'll die too."
"I'm sorry. At least you know she loved you. My mother sent me off to die eight months ago."
"No way. Were you a harvest girl?" Anya asked coming to the realisation. She knew there was something familiar about Davina's magic.
"Don't tell anyone. I'm just going to lay low until it passes. Then leave this godforsaken town. What do you know about it?"
"I went to this village once, a while ago and they were doing the harvest ritual. I didn't stay for the actual things so I don't really know much about it but I didn't trust them. I heard that they had to kill all the harvest girls and the magic would move from one person to the next and into the ground and back into them. Whether or not it's true, I don't know. But something about it seems impure and wrong. Because these witches go to the ancestors and back into the world. Who knows, they could take advantage of it?"
"I like you." Davina decided.
"I like you too." Anya replied. "Do you have a phone?"
"Yep." Anya got hers out and swapped with Davina. They each wrote in their own number, took a selfie for caller ID and gave it back.
"See you soon." Anya smiled, paused a moment and said "Fiddle guy's cute."
"Bye!" Davina said, blushing a bit. Cami walked back to her and Rio walked away with Anya.
"Made a new friend?"
"Yeah. She's really cool, and it turns out Marcel knows her parents. Well knew, back in the day. He probably still knows her dad."
"You say back in the day, when in reality he's not that old." Cami replied. "He's mid twenties."
"Exactly. Old."
"Am I old?"
"I'll just take this moment to plead the fifth." Davina replied, smirking. Cami's jaw dropped.
"I'm starting to think authority isn't the only thing you have a problem with." Cami said.
"Alright, go on. Shrink me."
"You're lost. No mother to guide you through life. Marcel and you are close- probably the only person you trust." Cami described. "Sorry, I was told I need to work on tact."

"What's up with you, Rio?" Marcel asked him. "Why were you and your daughter with Davina and Cami?"
"Anya and Davina are the same age. Davina's the first person her age that she's seen since she came to New Orleans. She got bored. I was talking to Cami to give the girls distance to talk about whatever it is teenage girls talk about. Come now, Marcel. You know me. You know I'm not the kind of person who would involve a child between whatever it is between you and Klaus. And I definitely wouldn't use Anya like that."
"What's the deal anyways? Adopted?"
"No, she was Charlotte's biological daughter."
"How old is Charlotte?"
"Was." Rio corrected. "And I can't tell you that. She didn't tell many people her age."
"But she was older than you."
"Physically no. Actually, yes."
"Then how is Anya her kid?"
"You know I can't spill everything, Marcel. Especially if you insist on keeping secrets of your own." Rio gave him a pointed look.
"Alright, fine."
"Seems like the two girls hit it off though."
"A friend could be good for Davina. God knows she hates being alone save for me as her only company."
"They could meet up every so often. Give each other points on magic. Talk about teenage girl things."
"I'll work something out."
"So I hear you have Elijah?"
"Klaus handed him over. This city was getting crowded with Originals and my guys were getting antsy."
"And instead you got another Original in his spot and a witch who breaks your rule."
"Worked out well for me." Marcel replied sarcastic.
"You should've seen Klaus, when he found out you were dead."
"He didn't care. Klaus only cares about Klaus. And his family. Maybe even you."
"He was broken. You were a son to him, and he thought you were dead. How would you feel if Davina died?"
"Klaus doesn't care. Look at him now- is he acting like a father who found out his son is alive?"
"Klaus handles things differently. Had he known you were alive, things would've turned out differently. He wouldn't have been so obsessed with breaking his hybrid curse."
"He was obsessed with it long before me."
"And you dying made him worse. He was even more obsessed with breaking the curse and keeping his family safe."
"Sorry, Rio. But you're wrong."
"Trust me, Marcel. Klaus loved you more than anything. You were his son. Trust me. He's still not over the loss. He buried it deep down, because he thought he failed you."
"All he had to do was come back. But he hasn't been here in the last century."
"Come now Marcellus. I'm not sure if I'm ever going to be able to gather enough courage to ever go back to Mystic Falls. It took me over a century and a half to go back after I found out my brothers were dead. But apparently they're not."
"And you left them?"
"I'm going to need a couple of drinks if I'm going to open this can of worms." Rio sighed.
"Let's go to Rousseau's."