36

Rio had almost finished instructing Stefan through one of the meals their grandmother had taught him. He realised he was luckier than Stefan in a way. He'd got to meet their grandmother, he'd seen more than one side to their parents, he'd been more liked in Mystic Falls- more popular with the rest of the townsfolk. He'd had a great childhood there. Save for the motherlessness. But he had a great childhood, nevertheless. Stefan had always been sort of closed off. He hadn't had many friends, if any. He and Damon usually hung out together. They were each other's friend. It was nearing 7, and Rio knew he'd have to make himself pretty scarce, so the Stefan and Ivy could enjoy their date. But he wouldn't leave until the last possible second. Stefan went over to the fridge, and drank some blood, not wanting to eat his date.
"Not in front of the kids, Stefan." Rio said, enjoying the deer-in-the-headlights look Stefan had on his face. Rio kept a straight face for a second longer before bursting out laughing. Baby Rhea and Anya were asleep upstairs, anyways. There was a noise at the door, so Stefan tossed his bag into the fridge and straightened up.
"Hey." He said turning to look at Ivy.
"Hey." Ivy replied.
"Hello." Rio said, hoping she wouldn't say 'hey' in reply.
"Hey." She grinned.
"Perfect timing, I was just uh-" Stefan started.
"I ran into some of your friends." Ivy cut in. Stefan looked confused and glanced over at Rio who rolled his eyes, and clenched his fists.
"What? Where?"
"Stefan! You are a hard man to track down. Uh, I wasn't sure if you're new..friend would invite us in but she said that this was your place. Which means...open invitation to all your mates, right?" Came the familiar voice of Enzo. "Got any bourbon?"
"Help yourself." Stefan replied sarcastically after Enzo had already walked off.
"Let's go sit." Rio said, amicably. They sat down around a table. "Stefan, I'll check on the food."
"Okay, thanks." Stefan replied and Rio walked to the kitchen to the stove. As he continued to prepare the food onto two plates, Rio listened in to what everyone else was saying.
"So, how do you guys know Stefan?" Ivy asked.
"He and I went to high school together. He used to date my best friend." There was a tiny pause. "Not that he's not allowed to date, I mean they broke up. I just didn't realize that he had met someone. So how did you meet exactly?"
"Uh, Ivy's car was in the shop, where I work."
"You work at an auto-repair shop?" Caroline asked. Rio could imagine her jaw dropping, eyes wide.
"It's relaxing." Stefan told her. Rio took the pan off the stove, turning it off. The food was ready. Now all that was left was to get rid of everyone, manage to leave with a baby without anyone else seeing and Stefan could have his date. Rio walked back into the room.
"You can't just stop being a neck person." Enzo was saying.
"What's he talking about?" Rio asked Caroline.
"It's Enzo. Half of what he talks about doesn't make sense. You learn to ignore the crap that comes out of his mouth, after a while."
"Is Enzo your boyfriend?" Ivy asked Caroline.
"Ugh, oh god no. Would you date that?" She said, revolted. Rio had to bite back a laugh.
"Hey Caroline, Enzo. Maybe tomorrow would be more appropriate for a conversation." Rio covered the side of his mouth as though telling a secret, and whispered loudly. "They're about to have a date."
"Well, this won't take too much time." Enzo smiled. "Just want to ask Stefan a question."
"It's not that I don't trust you Enzo, I just doubt your intentions."
"You're a smart man, Rio." Enzo said. "Too bad it doesn't run in the family. So, Stefan, tell us, this house, very charming. When'd you get it?"
"About a month or so ago." He lied.
"No, more than that, remember? We met two months ago and you already had it."
"You've- lived here for more than two months?" Caroline shouted.
"Yeah, I guess I have." He replied, nonchalant.
"Well, I guess that's just weird because, you know; everyone thought you were living somewhere else." She said, a little calmer now. "And you're job was supposed to be investigative work not Auto-Repair."
"Right. Well, I've moved on from that job."
"Well, you can't move on from investigative work until you've solved the investigation, Stefan."
"The investigation, Caroline, led to nothing but dead ends." Rio butt in.
"Well that doesn't mean you stop."
"It doesn't mean he becomes obsessed and doesn't live either." Rio shot back. "It led to absolutely nowhere. I told him to stop."
"Look, how 'bout we just drop it? I'm happy doing what I'm doing now, and that's all that should really matter, right?"
"There, darling. No need to make a scene. Really it's all just some big misunderstanding, perhaps this will clear it all up." Enzo said, putting an arm round Caroline and steering her back. He removed his hand and reached out for a fork then, without a warning, stabbed Stefan's hand to the table.
"Oh my god!" Ivy screamed.
"Enzo?!" Caroline shouted.
"What the hell is wrong with you?" Stefan said as he winced. Rio, as quick as he could, rushed to Enzo and held him by the neck, choking him.
"Let go of me." Enzo said, a look of scorn passing on his face.
"You show me yours and I'll show you mine." Rio replied. Enzo rolled his eyes and removed the fork. Rio held on a little longer, squeezing Enzo's neck, before letting go.
"So many secrets, what are you running from, Stefan?" Enzo said as Stefan's wound healed.
"Um, I-I don't-" Ivy said, stuttering, obviously afraid.
"Calm down, come with me. Let's go upstairs." Caroline compelled before glaring at Enzo. "No need to make a scene?!"