42

Rio and Anya lived in Ohio for two or three months before Rio heard from his brother. Stefan had stopped taking his calls and Rio had Anya do a locator spell to see if he was okay. He was, which meant he was ignoring Rio.
"Hey, Stefan. It's your older brother. Again. I know you're in Mystic Falls, but I don't know why. I've called you thousands of times, little brother. What's going on?" Rio asked before hanging up. He called Caroline again, who also seemed to be ignoring him. As was Enzo. And Elena. He didn't have Alaric's number. Or anyone else. But this time Caroline picked up.
"Can't you take a hint?" She hissed at him.
"I just want to talk to my brother. Why have you all been ignoring me? I just want to know what's up."
"We got bored of you being so boring and demanding. Don't call me again." She snapped and hung up. She must have turned off her humanity. Caroline was too nice to ever actually be rude to him. He called Stefan again who finally picked up.
"Stefan Salvatore!" Rio said as he heard the click of the phone. "What the bloody hell is going on?"
"Hello, brother."
"Did you pick up to do damage control?"
"What makes you think that?"
"Caroline turned off her humanity, Stefan. Which means she doesn't care about you enough to keep secrets. How could you not tell me?" Rio bluffed.
"I'm sorry. I'll admit. I should have, okay. I'm sorry." Rio sighed in frustration. He racked his brain trying to think of a way to get Stefan to tell him without letting on he didn't know the huge secret Stefan seemed to be keeping.
"Just, just tell me your side. Okay?"
"I knew you'd race straight here, and you have a baby to think about. So I told everyone to not tell you, or if they didn't think they could talk without spilling not to talk to you."
"Oh, for God's sake Stefan!" Rio exclaimed. "I give up. I don't know what this secret you're keeping is, so tell me what the hell is going on."
"Oh. Right. Then, nevermind."
"Stefan. Either you tell me, or I will come to Mystic Falls and find out for myself."
"What? And endager your teenager slash adult and baby girl? Yeah right. Stay away, Rio. Besides, there's a pschopath siphoner here."
"You know what a siphoner is?"
"Yeah. How comes you do?" Stefan asked.
"Because Charlotte was one. Stefan, if you won't let me come, let me give you some advice. Do not, under any circumstances, allow him to become a vampire. Promise me. Do not allow him to become a vampire."
"Why not?"
"Just promise me."
"Okay, okay. I promise." Stefan said.
"Good. I won't come to Mystic Falls, but can you at least tell me what is so bad that you're keeping secrets?"
"Maybe after everything goes down? Look, I won't ignore your calls so long as you don't press me for information."
"Deal. Keep safe little brother." Rio hung up the phone.
"Do you finally got through to Stefan, huh?" Sam asked from behind him.
"Yep. Still don't know what's going on there."
"You want me to go check it out?"
"No, it's okay. I give it a couple days before I find out what's going on."
"Tiberius Salvatore. Are you looking out for me?" Sam asked coyly.
"What? Pfft, nah!" He said looking away. "Stop daydreaming Sammy."
"Oh my god! You're totally looking out for me. You don't want me to find out what's happening in Mystic Falls because you're scared something'll happen to me."
"Only because you're a huge part of Anya's life." He said and she grinned widely.
"You care about me. Aww, how adorable." She cooed.
"Hey, hey. Let's not go too crazy." He laughed. Anya walked in holding Rhea.
"There's our princess." Sam said walking towards them. "She's seven months already. Over half a year."
"Right?" Rio said. "Pretty soon, she'll be Anya's age."
"Let's not go too crazy." Sam winked at him and he rolled his eyes.
"You two could pass as a couple." Anya commented. She'd been making these little jabs for the past few months.
"Anya. Sam and I are not coupley kind of people."
"Besides, I have a type."
"Oh please, Sammy. Rio's, like, everyone's type. What's wrong with my logic? You two get along great, you trust each other, and you hated each other at first but now care about one another. That's how most of the greatest relationships begin."
"You've been watching and reading too much romance." Sam scolded.
"Rio?" Anya pleaded.
"Anya, we don't feel that way about each other. What's with this desire to get us together anyways? You've been hinting at it for weeks."
"Well, I'm heading to college soon. And if Sam dates other guys and you date other girls then you two'll drift apart and well, no ones going to be Sam. No one's going to be part of the family like Sam is."
"I assure you, I have no plans to meet another woman for at least the next century." Rio cracked a smile, half serious
"You can't close yourself off to love." Anya protested.
"I'm not closing myself to love." Rio said. "I'm just not contemplating it right now. I just need to concentrate on the girls I already have in my life. Sam's always going to be part of our family, Anya. Has been ever since your mum and she became best friends. And if she does fall in love, he may not be as close to us, but Sam's always going to be an honorary Salvatore/Carlyle. Besides, do you really see Sam in a relationship anytime soon?"
"Okay, fine. I'll stop." Anya pouted.

The next day, Rio's phone rang. He picked it up, not looking at caller ID, expecting it to be Stefan.
"Hello?" He asked.
"Hello Tibby brother." A familiar voice sounded through. "Surprise."
"But you're- you're dead. I mean, you died. How? When? What?" Rio stuttered.
"You think death was gonna keep me away? How little you must think of me." Damon joked. "Listen, you're not supposed to know I'm alive-"
"How long have you been back, Damon?"
"Uh, two months, give or take."
"And you didn't once think, oh let me pick up the phone and tell my brother I'm alive."
"Stefan didn't want to tell you. He said something about keeping you away."
"So why did you call?"
"I need to ask you a question, and you need to be honest."
"Ask away." Rio sat down.
"Is it true? Was mom really a ripper? A vampire?"
"Where did you hear that?" Rio tensed.
"So it is true?"
"Damon, what have you heard."
"I know mom's in a prison world. I know she was captured in 1903 by the Gemini coven and that she's still there."
"It's not true. Mom died in 1858, from consumption. But she did have a twin sister called Meredith who was evil and nothing to do with you. Don't fall for that act Damon. It's not mom."
"A twin sister? That's all you could come up with? Just how gullible do you think I am?"
"I was hoping extremely. Listen Damon. Don't you dare try to get her out. You don't understand."
"Because you've never given me a chance."
"I will tell you everything you want to know. But please, I'm begging you don't go after her."
"I have no choice. Caroline made Stefan turn off his humanity. And aside from you, mom's the only other person I could think of to save him from himself."
"Then bring him. I will do it. Don't go after her Damon. It's not going to end well."
"I'm sorry, Rio."
"I'm warning you, Damon. If you let her out, I will never forgive you. She's not the mother you think she is."
"I have to try."
"Let her out, Damon, and I promise you, you'll regret it. She'll make you regret it and so will I."
"It's a risk I'm willing to take."
"To what end?" Rio stood and paced the room. "I will help you with Stefan. Leave her where she is, Damon. She's not good news."
"I'm sorry." Was the last thing Rio heard before Damon hung up. Rio glared before making a decision.
"I'm going to Mystic Falls. I'm going to try talk Damon out of it. Anya, can you teleport me there, and come straight back."
"You're leaving me with the baby?" Sam asked.
"It's only for a second. Plus, I do trust you with her, Sam. I won't be gone longer than a day."
"Okay."
"Don't worry about me. I'll go talk Damon out of it. Get Stefan to turn his humanity back on and come back. Deal? Anya, Sam. I need you guys to stay inside the whole time."
"Can we borrow your card?"
"Since when do you ask?"
"Since I know you'll say yes."
"Sure, get Rhea things too, okay?"
"Okay. Do you have everything you need for the whole trip to Mystic Falls?" Anya asked.
"Yes. No. My phone. I need a way to contact you to bring me home."