35

"It's Stef-" Rio hung up the phone as it went to voicemail yet again. He was in Savannah but he didn't know exactly where Stefan lived. Anya and Rhea were sitting in the back seat, both of them asleep. They'd been driving for a while. So Rio decided to ask around, see if anyone knew where Stefan lived. It wasn't until they came across an auto-repair shop that Rio got lucky. Turned out Stefan worked there. Rio managed to get Stefan's information from his boss and he used google to help him out with the directions. It took ten minutes for Rio to arrive. Rio got out of his car, woke up Anya and picked up Rhea.
"Stefan, open up!" Rio called as he knocked on the door. There was no reply for another minute and just as Rio raised his arm, the door opened.
"Who are you?" A girl, wearing a robe, opened the door.
"Sorry, I thought a Stefan Salvatore lived here."
"He does." The girl said.
"You must be Ivy. I'm Stefan's brother, Rio."
"Nice to meet you. Come on in, I was about to make breakfast. Well, if toast counts as breakfast." She laughed, opening the door to let them all in. She seemed to notice Anya but she didn't say anything. "I'll go wake him up."
"Oh no, that's okay. Let him sleep in. I suppose rest is what he needs right now." Rio said, smiling sadly.
"Do you want food?"
"We stopped at a café on our way here. Anya, you want food?" Rio asked.
"I'm fine, thanks." Anya smiled. She looked over at Rhea and something seemed to dawn on her. "Rio, you forgot Rhea's milk in the car."
"Be a sweetheart and get it for me?" He pleaded and she just laughed.
"You're so lucky you have me and Sam." Anya smirked and he shrugged.
"That I am." Anya stood and left. Rio made himself comfortable on the couch as Ivy carried on making breakfast in the kitchen. Rio heard his brother get up.
"Hey." Came Stefan's awkward greeting.
"Hey."
"Uh, what are you doing?" He asked.
"Um, I'm-I mean I thought it would be nice to d-completely overstay my welcome." She told him, sounding a tad upset. "I'm sorry, I thought I-never mind what I thought."
"No, no. I just-I wasn't really expecting you to...still be here. That's all."
"Right. Because why should you expect someone you spent the night with to make assumptions about breakfast. I'm gonna go."
"No, no, Ivy. I was just-"
"No, Stefan I get it. I am super into you, you're intermittently into me. Breakfast, bad." Rio winced. Stefan was in the doghouse.
"Ivy, look why don't we...have dinner tonight. Although I should probably do the cooking." And he saved himself. Anya walked back into the house.
"Got it!" She said and walked into the kitchen. There was a pause. "Awkward. I'm gonna just go into the living room."
"Your brother's here, by the way." Ivy told him. Stefan's face came into view, shortly after Anya walked in.
"Hey baby brother." Rio greeted.
"A warning would've been nice."
"Yeah, well you didn't pick up. Not my fault." Rio shrugged. Stefan walked over to his brother and slapped him on the back.
"And how are my two adoptive nieces doing?"
"Rhea's turned four months today. Pretty soon she'll be six months, then a year old." Rio said.
"You can't pull that 'she's grown so fast' line until she actually grows up." Stefan rolled his eyes.
"And Anya's the same precious girl that she's always been. And she's growing up."
"Pretty soon she'll start dating."
"Shut up, uncle Stefan. I'm older than you." Anya said, mock offended.
"Uncle Stefan?" Ivy asked walking in.
"It's a joke." Rio explained. "Nice place you got here, Stef."
"I'm aware it's nothing like the mansions you're used to visiting."
"Coming from a guy who literally lived in one for the last few years."
"Yes well, it was a family home. Wouldn't actually be able to afford it otherwise." Rio snorted.
"So how's the quiet life in Savannah?"
"How's the quiet life in Wyoming?"
"It's okay, I suppose. Still, I don't like it much, I think I'll move again, soon."
"Maybe I should come back later." Ivy said. Stefan stood and walked over to her. He kissed her on the forehead. She looked up at him and asked, "What time do you wanna do dinner?"
"Is seven okay?" He asked.
"Seven's fantastic." She smiled and walked out.
"Well, wasn't that darling?" Rio commented.
"Shut up." Stefan said, suppressing the urge to smack his brother.
"You should've seen Rio when I told him I was dating someone." Anya commented. "Trust me, you got off easy."
"I'll bet." Stefan said. "So how is baby Rhea doing?"
"Baby Rhea is fine." Rio smiled, shifting her. Stefan stretched his arms out to pick her up and Rio obliged.
"She reminds me of someone." Stefan said. "I can't figure out who."
"Well I doubt you know her parents, unless you know a few witches in Europe. Besides, you can't really say the baby looks like anything until they grow up."
"Probably not." Stefan agreed. "So what brings you here?"
"Start making dinner and we'll talk."
"It's barely noon."
"I'm walking you through a very complex family recipe. We're Italian- act like it. We have some tricks up our sleeves."
"Oh please, our mother was American, I highly doubt our father taught you recipes of food." Rio snorted.
"Of course not. You know dad better than that. But, we did have a grandmother once- dad's mom. You were too young to remember. But when I turned eighteen and it became evident mom wasn't gonna have any more kids after you, she sent me a box of all the recipes handed down the family. She said it was just in case she didn't survive long enough to meet my wife. I promised I would hand it down the family. Of course, I never got the chance, and Anya can't cook to save her life-"
"Hey! I'm right here!" She cut in.
"Well it's true." Rio winked, "I was thinking of teaching Rhea when she grows up. Plus, your doppelgänger was related to us somehow, so I'm sure we have another relative. Maybe I could pass it on to them."
"Okay fine, let's get started." Stefan clapped his hands together. He stared at Rio for a while. "We had a grandmother?"
"You were a baby when she visited and Damon was too scared of her to ever approach her."
"You never told me."
"Well, as you guys grew up, she stopped visiting. And, I don't know. We never talked about family."
"Did you ever know about our half-brother?"
"The original Joseph Salvatore?"
"So you met him?"
"No, father just told me that he existed- Stefan you've got to remember I was closer with father than you all. He told me about our families. I just assumed mom told you two." Rio shrugged. "Come on. That dinner's not going to make itself."