29

"You managed to bring him back, I see." Max remarked as Rio and Amelia walked back into the compound.
"Hey Max, remember that time I beat you up until you were a blubbering mess."
"I seem to recall that being your older wife. How old was she, again?"
"I'm not at liberty to say." Rio said, before turning away from him.
"She's dead, what's holding you back?" James shrugged and Rio snarled and pushed him up against the wall, choking him.
"Shut up, James, before I make you."
"Woah, you really have changed." Marcus said, looking at his friend in a whole new light.
"Yeah, I have." Rio said, before turning to James. "You know, if we weren't such good friends all those decades ago, and I didn't have a rule against killing, you'd be long gone. Both you and your brother."
"I guess we're lucky you don't kill." James smirked, pushing him off. "And that we were such good friends all those decades ago."
"Time out. Rio, since when do you get angry at someone who talks to you wrong?"
"It's deeper than that, Marcus. Haven't you wondered why it took kidnapping my friend for me to agree meeting the twins?"
"Well, yeah."
"Trust me Marcus. The Lockwoods aren't worth it. I guess it's part of their genes."
"You got beef with our descendant?" James scowled.
"His name's Tyler right?" Max said.
"No one says beef, James, but yes I do. And yes it is Tyler. I thought he was a pretty okay guy at first, he had some issues to deal with, but then he became a massive dick. Looks like he's living up to the Lockwood name."
"Shut up." Max scowled.
"What are you going to do about it?"
"You have a so-called daughter now right?" James started.
"Wouldn't want anything to happen to her now, would we?" Max threatened. Rio pushed him up against the wall this time.
"I swear to God, the two of you stop thinking about my family, or God help you."
"You have a daughter?" Marcus asked Rio.
"Yeah." Rio let go of Max. "I do."
"James, Max-" Marcus started.
"Oh great, a lecture from saint Gilbert." Max rolled his eyes.
"What's this reunion? Seriously, what's the point?" Amelia asked.
"We thought we'd get the gang back together."
"We're not getting back together. Besides, we're still missing one. Did Maria live a human life?"
"For a short while, yes." A woman said, jumping down from the hallway above. "Finally someone mentions me."
"How long were you up there?" Rio asked.
"Ten minutes," She winced. "I had to take care of something."
"Maria?" Marcus breathed staring at her. The two had something of a history.
"Hello, Marc." She smiled and rushed to him, standing directly in front of him.
"Come on guys, let's give 'em some space." Rio herded the others out. He turned to walk away himself but he paused and turned around. "Good to see you Maria."

"Rio!" Anya said as soon as he picked up. "I thought you were dead. Do you know how worried I was? I can't lose you too."
"Hey, kid." He smiled, though she couldn't see. "We're all fine. It's somewhat of a reunion over here. Pretty awkward, but I'll be fine."
"Who is he?"
"It's just a couple faces from my past. You remember Amelia? She's here as well as a bunch of old friends. How's Sam doing?"
"She's okay. Ready to find you."
"I won't be long, don't worry. I'll see you soon. Keep safe, alright. And no leaving town."
"Roger that. Stay safe, don't do anything you'll regret."
"No promises." Rio said and hung up. Amelia walked up to him.
"How is she?"
"Worried. It's only been a year, well almost two, since Charlie."
"She's a strong kid."
"That she most definitely is." Rio grinned proudly.
"Oh great, you've gone all doting daddy on us." James grimaced.
"You're the one who somehow got nostalgic and brought us all here. What's up with that, by the way? Since when do you care about anything?"
"I've never had my humanity off." James said. "Can't say the same for you."
"And yet, me without humanity was better than you with, surely that says something."
"What, that you're a goody two-shoes? Please. How many times have you pushed my brother and me up against the wall?"
"Well, I never said I was a goody two-shoes."
"Rio, accept it. You are." Amelia smirked.
"Admit it Rio, no matter how angry you get at us, you missed us all." James said, nudging him.
"Well, I could've gone without seeing your ugly mug for a little while longer." James looked at him, eyebrows raised, and Rio relented. "Maybe a little bit. I do have embarrassing pictures of us as kids, though."
"You do not!" Amelia said.
"Those pictures were destroyed in, like, 1932. I was there." Maria said, rushing out to the courtyard with Marcus at her side.
"You believe that, if you want."
"Oh, come on, Rio! How'd you get them? The house and everything inside burned down in a fire."
"I thought it just sort of rotted away." Amelia said.
"No there was a fire. Rio!"
"Sorry, Ria, my lips are sealed." Rio's phone rung. He looked at it and it was an unknown number. He picked up, frowning. "Hello?"
"Rio, hey. It's Cami."
"Cami? Oh right, you're an acquaintace of Marcel and Klaus. The priests niece?"
"Yeah. Are you alone?"
"No, actually I'm not. Are you okay?"
"I was wondering if I could ask you a favour. Well, you and Anya. It's sort of private."
"Give me an hour, and I'll call you right back." He said.
"Okay, thank you." She hung up. Rio looked around to his old best friends.
"What?"
"You wouldn't let us know?" James asked, feigning hurt.
"No."
"Oh come on, Rio. You used to tell us every juicy bit of your life." Max looked over at Amelia. "Okay maybe not every."
"Shut up!" Amelia pushed Max away, mortified.
"James, Max. You two have done nothing but literally attack my family. No offence- or take offence, I don't really care- but I'm not going to tell you everything about my life." He shrugged. "I've got to go."

"Hey Cami." Rio said, once he was sure he was nowhere in the vicinity of his old friends. "What's up?"
"So I know everything now about New Orleans. I know Klaus and Elijah and Rebekah are Original vampires. I know that you're a vampire, and I know your daughter is a witch. I know Hayley is pregnant with Klaus's daughter, and that she's a werewolf."
"Okay, so what do you need?"
"My uncle, Father Kieran's been hexed by a witch. I was wondering if you or Anya know a spell to reverse it?"
"Yeah, I've heard of one. Look, things are rather tense in New Orleans, so I don't want to bring Anya there. Do you think he can be moved?"
"I don't know. He's sort of crazy, so we had to chain him down."
"Okay, where is he?"
"He's in the church attic." She told him.
"Okay, I need you to lock the windows and the doors, and not with you inside, I don't want you getting hurt. Get Elijah to inject as much sedatives as he can without there being serious side effects to Kieran, and I'll bring Anya over, alright?"
"Okay."
"Text me when that's all done, alright?"
"Okay. Thank you, Rio. Truly."
"It's fine, Cami."