13

"Anya, that phone call earlier. Stefan wasn't really calling to say hi. I mean, he was, but also to tell me he remembers everything."
"What do you mean remembers everything?"
"Didn't I tell you?" Anya shook her head. "Something happened, I don't know exactly but Stefan lost his memories. He's recently gotten them back, and he was really upset about something. I'm going to go back to Mystic Falls."
"No!" She said. "Anywhere but there, Rio. What if, this time, you get hurt?"
"Anya-"
"No, Rio. I lost my mother in that town, and I don't care if mum would want it, but you're not going back there! No way. I won't let you."
"Anya, sweetie. I understand. Really, I do. But Stefan sounded scared and I can't leave him like this. He was saying something about drowning, and I don't even understand but he was afraid. I have to go."
"I'm coming, then."
"Absolutely not."
"You said it yourself. I'm powerful. I can protect myself."
"I don't care. You're not stepping one foot into Mystic Falls, and you will not follow me there like you did here. Am I clear, Anya?"
"That is so hypocritical of you."
"Tough. I'm your father, I'm supposed to be hypocritical." He said. She shook her head. "You have two choices. You can go home with Sam, or you can stay in New Orleans with Sam. But never Mystic Falls."
"You're not going there, Rio.  Not without me."
"I am going to Mystic Falls and I will be right back. I promise. You are going to stay here until I come back." Anya sighed and rolled her eyes. "Promise me, Anya. I want to hear you promise."
"I promise, unless I have reason to believe you're in real danger."
"Especially not then, Anya! If I'm in trouble, which I won't be, the last thing I would ever want is to drag you down with me. I lost your mother in that town, there is no way in hell you're going anywhere near it, especially not while the Mystic Falls gang are up to stuff."
"Fine. I promise."

"Stefan." Rio said, this time not so upbeat as he met his brother at the grill.
"Hey, Rio." Stefan replied, just as grim. "You want a drink?"
"Sure."
"Scotch or Bourbon?"
"You know me so well. Scotch." Rio said, giving Stefan a sad smile. Stefan went off and came back with their drinks a few minutes later.
"Sorry for dragging you back. I know it's the last place you'd rather be." He apologised.
"What's wrong? I want the full story."
"Well, it all started with a cure."
"Uh huh. Skip to the part when the Mikaelsons left. I know everything up to there."
"Um Elena turned her humanity back on. She's no longer under the influence of the sire bond with Damon. Um, Jeremy died, came back to life except in exchange Bonnie died. Silas, the first ever immortal but not a vampire, is awake and alive, except he took the cure and Amara the other first ever immortal-" Stefan continued to talk about all that Rio had missed starting from when Klaus had left town up until him getting back his memories.
"Oh, Stefan." He sighed when Stefan told him about his summer locked away underwater.
"I don't blame you, it's not your fault. Damon should have known, should have tried to find and talk to me but he was too busy with Elena. But I can't get it out of my mind. For three months, I died over and over and over again, locked in a box. I don't feel safe indoors, or near water. I just get claustrophobic and I'm scared Rio. I can't stop it. All I keep remembering is the water. I try to think about anything else and all I can remember is I was drowning and my brother was up here living the life with my ex girlfriend, whilst my other brother hated my guts because I killed his wife."
"Hey!" He scolded. "I could never hate you, Stefan. Yeah, sure I was a little upset. Understandable, I think. But you're my brother, I could no sooner hate you than I could hate Damon. I'm here for you, always."
"Thanks, Rio. I really am sorry. If I had known-"
"Let's just not open that can of worms right now. Okay?" Rio cut him off. Because the truth was that Charlotte wasn't all he was mad about. Knowing that they'd be killing an entire sire line, they'd killed Kol, resulting in the deaths of yet more of his friends.
"Sure." Elena and Damon walked into the Grill.
"Rio?" Damon asked, shocked his brother would be in Mystic Falls without tellinghim. Shocked that he'd be in Mystic Falls in the first place.
"Hey, Demon." Rio gave him a half smile. Damon rushed over and gave his brother a hug, not something he'd usually do in public.
"Hi." Elena waved as she walked over. "Not to sound rude, but um, what are you doing here?"
"I'm here because my brother asked me over." He shrugged. "I was going to call you soon, Damon."
"I'm glad you're back. Where's the kid?"
"Anya. Her name's Anya." Rio snarled, annoyed Damon hadn't bothered to learn her name.
"Yeah, her." He replied in a dissmissive tone.
"She's not here, she's with Sam."
"Sam who?"
"Sam's a friend. She was Lottie's best friend."
"Oh. So, um the Mikaelsons left town." Elena tried.
"Yeah, I know. I was with them for a bit. I just left them right now."
"You were? You did? Why?" Stefan asked.
"Why was I with them or why did I leave them?"
"Both."
"Well, I was with them, because it seems Klaus got himself into a situation, the idiot. But I left them, because you needed me."
"Oh." Was Stefan's reply. "You left them for me?"
"What have I been telling you all day, Stef?" Rio sighed, referring to the fact that he'd always be there for Stefan.
"Right."
"I'm glad you're back, Rio. How long are you staying?"
"As long as Stefan needs me. But I can't stay away from Anya for too long." He shrugged.
"Rio, I just want to-"
"Let me stop you there. I'm not in this town to hear apologies, okay? That's just something I'd really rather not dwell on. I've spent the past year, trying not to overthink it, because Anya needed me. Needs me. So, any other topic is fair game, but please don't, Elena. That goes for you too, Damon."
"What about Stefan?"
"I've already explained it to him."
"Okay. Well nice to have you back, brother." Rio nodded at Damon. He didn't say 'nice to be back' or 'I'm glad to be here' because he wasn't, so he just simply nodded.