33

Rio, Anya and San had two quiet weeks, not including the phone calls from Rio's old friends and a few run ins with them. But aside from that, it was all quiet. Klaus seemed to try to keep things quiet, probably trying not to worry Rio and his daughter. Of course the two regularly talked on the phone. But when Klaus called that day, Rio knew something was up.
"Hello, friend." Rio greeted.
"Rio." Klaus's voice was grave.
"What do you need?"
"I'm going to ask you the biggest favour ever. You can say no, but I need you, Rio."
"What do you need?"
"How fast can you come to New Orleans?"
"Within a minute."
"Can you come now?"
"See you in a sec." Rio said and hung up. He called upstairs. "Anya! Can you send me to New Orleans?"
"You're going back already?" She asked walking down.
"Where there's a friend in need." Rio shrugged. Anya rolled her eyes then walked to him and muttered the spell. They were in the cemetery.
"Klaus." Rio said. Klaus was holding a baby in his arms.
"Her name's Rhea. Spelt R-h-e-a pronounced Ray-a. Hayley said you suggested it. I like it- sounds a little like Rio."
"What's going on?"
"I need you to take her and run."
"Pardon?"
"I need you to look after her, everyone believes she's dead. Rebekah's taking Hope, I need you to take Rhea."
"Are you sure?"
"Positive. Can you do that?" Klaus looked at his friend. Rio understood.
"I'll take good care of her. As long or short as you need me to."
"I need you to look after her for longer than that, Rio. Until I'm sure she's safer than safe. The only ones who know she's alive are Hayley and I. It's not that we prefer one over the other. I just know that you looking after twins is going to raise more suspicions. So you have to look after her, and knowing my family, there's no way Hope will be hidden as long. And I can't let any of them end up in the hands of strangers. Rio, I need you to protect her as long as you can. They're both Mikaelsons and with all the enemies I have, I don't know if I can protect them both. So I want you to raise her. Keep her safe."
"You have my word, I'll protect her with my life." Rio nodded. Klaus gave his daughter a kiss and Anya and Rio a hug.
"Thank you both. Go, now." Anya gave an understanding nod, then held onto the baby and Rio before muttering the spell.
"Hey there, Rhea." Rio cooed. "Well I don't have much experiences with babies, unless you count Anya over there. She can be a big baby sometimes."
"Meanie. If she's going to be my little sister, she's not going to hear bad stuff about me." Anya said, suppressing the urge to smack Rio's shoulder.
"I'm only kidding Anya. You know I love you."
"Of course. Don't you have to get her registered and all?" Anya asked.
"Yes, I do. Give me a second." Rio asked.
"Okay." Anya said, and the baby started crying.
"Okay, I lied. I have a bit of experience when it comes to babies. I helped look after Stefan when I was twelve. Okay, gotta remember." Rio paced around holding the baby in his arms bouncing her ever so gently, knowing there could be severe damage to her if he shook her too hard. Slowly, but surely, she quietened.
"Wow, you're pretty good at this."
"We need to buy some supplies. We need diapers, a pram, wipes, baby powder, clothes and a lot more. We can online shop. Anya, can you get the laptop?"
"Sure."
"And I've got my credit card. You should get yourself something nice. Buy things for yourself too, just don't go too crazy."
"Thanks!" Anya brightened up as a grin painted her face.
"Oh god, what have I done?" Rio groaned. "I'm going to have to find a job. You're going to bleed me dry."
"How comes you have so much money anyways?"
"Because, I used to have a lot of jobs and I saved up over the century along with your mother. And there was less mouths to feed, et cetera et cetera. Besides, I'm usually good at managing money." Rio said. Baby Rhea had fallen asleep in his arms. "Oh don't forget to order a crib, please. She can't keep sleeping in my arms forever."
"You got it." Anya said. There was a pause before Anya spoke up again. "Are we going to have to move again?"
"I'm afraid so." Rio said.
"Can we move to Washington?"
"I take it you have a specific place in mind?"
"Yes." Anya said smirking.
"Is there a reason behind all this?"
"I guess you'll find out." She smirked. There was a click as the door opened and shut. And then a few soft taps of Sam's footsteps.
"Hey Rio. Hey Anya." She said. The baby in Rio's arms started to move but went unnoticed by Sam. "How're you?"
"I've abducted a baby off the streets." Rio said and Sam laughed, still not noticing the baby Rio held.
"No, seriously." Sam said but her eyes went to the baby in his arms. "Wait, where did you get that baby?"
"I told you."
"Rio's joking, as usual. This is Rhea Mikaelson. Klaus's baby. We're looking after her, because everyone thinks she's dead. So if anyone asks, Rio has adopted."
"Right. How do you plan on feeding her?"
"I hadn't thought of that. We'll figure out a way. Hopefully they've fed her already."
"Klaus trusted you with his baby?" Sam asked, disbelieving.
"Well thank God I have you, right? Besides there's always research. We just need a crib first."
"About that,Rio," Anya started. "All of these are just next day delivery."
"Um, okay. Anya, you and Sam go shopping but just buy something to hold her in and the basics. Then you can go full out while I figure out a way to get her fed."
"So what's the story?" Sam asked.
"Hayley gave birth to Hope first. The witches took Hope and left, not knowing there was a second baby. Half an hour later, Rhea was born. And then Hayley died holding Rhea but then turned into a hybrid because the girls can do that and she had their blood in her system. Then Klaus found her and kept her safe whilst he and Marcel and Hayley, and I think Elijah was there too, saved Hope." He explained.
"When did you have time to find out all this? I was with you the entire time." Anya protested.
"I have my ways."