26

"Tell me more about the Carlyles. There's no information about them in any history book." Joseph asked Anya.
"How about we trade? The spell for information?"
"Why are you siding with the vampires?" He frowned.
"Rio's good." Anya stuck up for him.
"No vampire is good." Joseph said matter-of-factly.
"They always say that!" Rio exclaimed, exasperated.
"Rio's never killed a human being before."
"He's a vampire. He's killed at least once."
"No, he hasn't. Is it so hard to believe that a vampire isn't evil? That he's always been good?" Anya wondered. Joseph stared at her.
"Yes." He replied simply.
"I came close to killing a human, yes, but fortunately I had someone good who was able to stop me from killing her. I didn't completely understand the hunger but I learned control. I have never killed a human, not in the century and the half I've been alive."
"What makes you so different?"
"I know so many good vampires who don't kill- who've killed once in their lives because they didn't have someone to stop them. I got lucky, and from then on it's been because I'm a good person." Joseph stared at Rio, as if determining his worth. Finally, he sighed.
"The spell can be done by a powerful witch. I'm not as powerful as I once was, nor am I powerful enough to handle the spell, but the more powerful the witch, the more people they can take. I would reccommend a maximum of two people."
"That's okay, I only want to take Rio, and then I'll tell you everything you want about my ancestors."
"I'll come with you on the trip." Joseph demanded.
"Sure." Anya shrugged.

A few hours had passed as Anya and Joseph were setting up for the spell. Rio had nothing to do so he called the Mikaelsons though he got no answer. He had a bad feeling- but it was Klaus fighting for family. No one who went against him would survive or get one over him.
"Okay ready!" Anya called and Rio went over to them.
"Hmm, smells nice." Rio said, referring to the candles.
"Yeah, come on sit!" Anya patted the spance next to her impatiently.
"Thank you." Rio nodded at Joseph. "I know it can't be easy trusting me, but it means a lot."
"Well, I did a quick check on you, you seem to be clean enough." Joseph said. "But the kid's right. Sit down, already."
"Alright, okay." Rio said and quickly sat down. Joseph was holding an object in his hands.
"Alright, I taught you the spell. Now it's your turn." Joseph told Anya who took the object from his outstretched hands. She took a deep breath to calm herself before starting the chant.
"Phasmatos Tribum, Invocia Cavea, Misero Mundi." Anya repeated over and over. Rio closed his eyes and when he opened them he was in what seemed to be a desolate world. There was no one else around, but their surrounding looked the same. Except the house looked different. It was farther back too.
"So that's how you got past the boundary spell. You didn't." Joseph said. "That's a clever spell, illusioning the house to look further forward. Your vampire didn't actually cross into my property."
"It's a Carlyle spell. My mother taught it to me." Anya grinned proudly.
"Do you know where your mother would go?" Joseph asked Rio. Rio thought, before remembering his home. The one Charlotte had had rebuilt.
"My childhood home. It's where I grew up. Can you do that projection teleportation thingy spell in here?"
"I've given up with teaching him the terminology." Anya told Joseph, before nodding at Rio, and grabbing the arms of the two men beside her. She muttered the quick spell and soon enough they were at the place Rio had grown up in. Rio froze. It looked so strangely familiar. There were carriages in front of the house and the grounds were big, but the horses weren't there and the entire place was so quiet. So desolate. Anya looked at him. "Are you okay, Rio?"
"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine. Its just, it's a little different than I remember." He shook himself out of his stupor and marched ahead. He heard noises inside. He walked deeper into the house following the sounds and saw a woman making herself a cup. He realised it was blood- barely enough for survival. She turned around and Rio recognised his mother. There were people sitting- desiccated, that she walked over to. Rio recognised them as her little posse. Valerie, Stefan's ex girlfriend. Oscar, sent to Damon, courtesy of Lily. Nora and Mary Louise- the two weren't always bad, they balanced each other out and loved one another deeply. Anyone who loved that much couldn't be completely bad, right? And there was Beau. He could be ruthless, whether or not he was mute. Rio never understood him. He acted like Lily's pet, far too loyal. He never disobeyed her. Malcolm was the one Rio hated most of all. It wasn't him necessarily, more out of jealousy. He was the first that Lily turned, and he was her favourite. She referred to him as her 'oldest son' but in reality, she'd never had time for her eldest son. Rio didn't ever like him much. It wasn't as if Rio liked any of them, or even ever really knew any of them- he'd only met them twice. He had sort of a soft spot for Valerie. She was Stefan's first love. He met Julian too, but the man was a creep. He didn't mind Lily moving on, falling in love. She was treated more or less like trash by Guiseppe, but something about him didn't seem right. He wasn't here either, which was weird. He rarely left Lily's side.
"Do you know them?" Anya asked.
"Sort of. Met them once or twice. She said they were her family, after she turned into a vampire." He rolled his eyes, and looked around the room. "Oh look! Her blood's running out."
"Is there a way to bring some more here?" Anya asked Joseph.
"No." Rio said firmly. "We're not bringing her more blood. She can rot here, for all I care."
"Rio! She's your mother."
"My mother died in 1958. Believe me, those are her words, and I agree completely. All that's left is a selfish, uncontrollable bitch- excuse my french- who wears the face of my mother. Come on, let's go now. I've seen all I needed to see."
"Is that you?" Anya squealed as she saw a picture. There were quite a few around. One of Damon, one of Stefan, one of Rio, and one of all three as well as others of Rio with his friends and the other two Salvatores.
"Yeah. That one-" He pointed of the one of him and his brothers. "-was taken on Stefan's fifth birthday. My father took us all out for a trip out of town. Lily was ill, so she stayed behind, but I always knew it was a lie. She just wanted to not be with my father. We had a great time, though Stefan was upset she didn't come."
"Aw, what about that one?"
"That was when I turned eighteen. Just me and my father, we had a great time. I have more good memories of my father than of my mother." Anya smiled and looked at the photographs. She pointed at one, muttered a spell and a replica of it appeared in her hands. She put it in her bag, not that Rio knew where the bag came from, and did the same with the other photographs. Once she finished she turned to Rio.
"Do we have to go? Can't we explore this world a little more?"
"There's nothing here to explore Anya."
"What about the school you went to as a child?"
"Closed down in 1895."
"Um, just places you've visited."
"The world hasn't changed much from this time period, I promise." Rio said. "Mystic Falls high was being built around now. But everything else is more or less the same."
"Buzzkill." Anya narrowed her eyes at Rio, pouting. "Okay come on. Let's go home."