Chapter 5 One Call

Three weeks of crying, laughing and seeing right in the light itself passed. Weeks of finding hope and love and realizing how precious every second in live is. I stayed with my mom a few more days at home so we had time to talk. Time we needed to strengthen our broken mother daughter bound.

Now I am home. Home. H-o-m-e - a word with 4 letters. A strong word. It has so much meaning. For many people it means family - being safe. Something that is so normal that you can't imagine not having a home. A place to go back to in bad times. A place that is always open for you. A place where you invite people to. A place where you've cried hundreds of tears. Where you've laughed thousands of tears.

In some cases it means something else. It means anger and abusing. Not many people know that kind of home. A home where you are afraid to go. Where you've cried more tears of hopelessness than tears of laughter.

My home is still something else. My home isn't where I live. My home is where my family is. This is just the place where I live. Lonely. I still enjoy this but my family is missing. I know it is.

Now I am sitting here on my sofa. Staring at the sealing and already missing this presence of my family. I invited Shannon. I was kinda surprised as she picked up the phone. There wasn't anything left of the anger I had expected. It was quiet contrary. She loved me even more. We already missed each other so much that every conflict we had before was totally forgotten.

The little woman ran into my arms like a teenager that hadn't seen her best friend in a year. We hugged each other with so much passion and happiness that we didn't want to stop anymore. It was like we were melting into one person.

I smiled deeply in myself as I smelled her sweet perfume. It was already filling up the living room as I sat down on my sofa. Shannon's body heavily fell into the armchair. A sigh of effort escaped her lips. She looked at me for a while without saying a word. A light smile sat on her lips hiding something mysterious away from me. I would've asked her what she was hiding but this wasn't a right moment so I kept it to myself.

All this calming atmosphere was destroyed by my phone. It rang loudly and vibrated on the massive wood table. I looked over to the display being totally annoyed by the person at the other end even though I didn't even know who called. The number was unknown so I didn't make a big deal of it.

'Who called?' Shannon asked picking up a gummy bear from a bowl on the table. I followed her movement with my eyes, grinning cheeky. She just put the bear in her mouth when I started laughing loudly.

'I don't know how long the sweets had been standing there.' I laughed not answering her question since I wasn't sure myself which crazy fan found out my number. Shannon's expression changed rapidly into a disgusted gaze. Her chewing slowed down. I heard how she swallowed the little piece of food.

'You little-' She began but was interrupted by the ring of my phone. Again the unknown number called and destroyed a funny moment.

'Who the hell...' I whispered checking the numbers. I was sure I didn't know the number. So I rejected the call. Still kinda confused we continued talking about the past weeks. Of course, we had to tell each other every single detail of what happened when we ignored each other's existence.

We landed in the whole of talking and laughing as my phone rang again. Totally irritated I showed Shannon the number.

'Pick up!' She begged nervously. 'Please Katy, please!' After some hesitation I swiped to the right to answer the call. 'Put it on speaker's phone.' Shannon added whispering. So I hold up the phone and a woman's voice began speaking.

'San Bernardino's Hospital, Miss Benson here. Am I talking to Miss Hudson?' My and Shannon's eyebrows crunched together as she said my name. Hudson it repeated in my head. This wasn't possible. She couldn't know my real name. She couldn't and why is there even somebody calling from San Bernardio. I thought.