Chapter 18 Mask

'School isn't bad at all.' I said through my slow chewing. 'Actually I like going there.' I added flourishing with my fork in the air. It was Sunday evening and I saw Katy after some time again. She worked a lot the past days and got back home really late. She also bought a lot of stuff for Christmas those days. I already asked why she hadn't done it earlier. Her answer was really obvious. I was the reason.

'I never heard that of a student in your age.' Katy laughed picking around in her salad. 'Look I can't drive you to the bus station tomorrow. I have to go working earlier and yeah it's the complete other direction. So would you walk?' She explained now picking up a tomato.

'I don't really have a choice.' I joked around. 'Ugh I have to wake up earlier then.'

'That's life.' Katy said heartless. I glanced at her for a few seconds with that 'Are you serious' look waiting for her to see it but she was so concentrated on eating that she didn't look up.

'Katy!' I moaned like a little kiddie sitting in a car waiting to arrive in Disneyland. She looked up and smiled cheeky.

'I am so sorry but I don't have any other choice to let you walk. Either you have to stay at home and a motivated girl like you that doesn't want to miss anything of school doesn't want to stay at home - or do you?'

'Yeah it's ok.' I ended the discussion. After Katy's food was eaten I stood up and cleaned my plate. Again more than a half of the food landed in the trash can. I sighed and walked up to my room to change my clothes. I slipped off my jeans and gasped for air. My legs were covered with bruises. Dark blue bruises. I fell down to my bed. My legs couldn't carry me anymore. They trembled. My hands trembled. My cheeks started to become wet. All the time I tried to seek up some hope. Maybe the eating was just a phase I always thought. The nose bleeding could be caused by the weather. But now all the hope died. The cancer was back. I knew it was back worse than before. I chuckled of the thought doing chemotherapy again. I chuckled of the thought Katy could know it. I couldn't do such a thing like that. She would be heart broken. I started crying in my pillow. Everything I built up those months with Katy seemed to be crashed down. Everything died. The chance to have a normal life. The chance to get some friends. Everything. I realized that I'll never be able to go to college and have a boyfriend. I won't have my own children.

Quiet sobs disappeared my lips and I kept on hitting my bed with my foot. The spot got blackish and I just wanted to scream.

'You fine Grace?' Katy asked knocking on my door. I sat up straight and took some deep breaths. Then I swallowed my sadness and fake smiled to sound happier.

'Yeah what shouldn't be fine?' I answered with a quiet laugh at the end of the sentence.

'I don't know I heard somebody crying and... by the way we'll have a check up appointment soon.' She tossed in. I caught for air. My lips pressed together. I closed my eyes trying to calm down a bit. I knew what the check up ment. I knew I'll be caught in a hospital again.

'Well I watched Law and Order: SVU and turned the volume a bit too loud I guess.'

'Alright. Then... goodnight.' Katy said and walked away. She didn't even wait for an answer. I slumped down and began crying again. The whole night I gazed at my wall and cried after all again. Sometimes I fell asleep for a short time but woke up again shaking heavily.

In the morning I realized that I didn't even change to my pyjama. I stood up from my bed but fell back just the moment my legs had to carry me. I sighed and put all my strength together to take my clothes on. I packed my stuff together for school and noticed we had PE that day. I moaned laying my head in my hands. I stayed in that position for a while.