Chapter 15 Praying

Grace's POV

'Are you sure they gonna like me?' I asked unsure. Katy just parked the car and looked deep in my eyes. My legs hurt because we sat in a car for like two hours and we haven't moved since then.

'They will.' She said but seemed nervous too. Obviously she had to tell her parents a lot and as I heard it they weren't that simple. But still I was really excited to see them. I saw some pictures of my grandparents in Katy's mansion and she told me that they were strict religious so they believed in God. Just like Katy. I did too - kinda. But my Forster parents didn't that's why I've never been to a church before.

Katy then opened the door of her black expensive car and stepped out of it. It was gloomy in Santa Barbara. The moment I stepped out of the car a cooling draught touched my naked legs. In the morning I decided to wear a skirt. It wasn't a nice idea.

After standing next to Katy's car for a while and watching he parents' house I finally walked around the car and hugged Katy tightly. She didn't push away.

'Don't worry. Its gonna be ok.' I said trying to take away her fear even though I wasn't sure how her parents - my grandparents - would react. She touched her shaved head with her hand and looked into the sky. It seemed to rain in a while because the clouds were as grey as the streets of Santa Barbara.

'They won't kill me.' Katy said smiling sarcastically. I grinned and touched her hand.

'Are you ready?' I asked and looked up to her. She nodded and sighed after taking one of the biggest deep breaths you could take. She walked to her parents' door with slow steps. I literally had to drag her to the door.

There we stood for a while. Behind a closed door. I began freezing and shivered. 'Dont you have a key?' I asked her but she just shook her head and rang the bell.

After a few seconds a woman opened. She smiled confused and looked down to me. Then she looked at Katy for a while. Muted. She seemed to watch her new 'hair'style.

'Katheryn?' She then crooked out pointing at me and her new look. It was weird to hear someone call Katy Katheryn. I just smiled and tried to seem nice.

'Mum... I have to tell you something.' Katy began. 'Can we come in?'

'We?' She asked confused. I thought that was the right moment to say hi.

'I am Grace.' I said smiling bright and gave her my hand. She smiled and seemed to realize who I was.

'Ah you are Grace!' She called out and let us in. I was really grateful because inside it was warm and comfortable. Everything looked a bit old school. Pictures of Katy and her siblings hang on the wall and paintings with religious backgrounds.

Then Mary lead us in the livingroom where we sat down on the chocolate brown sofa. Katy's mum sat down in the armchair.

'Where is dad?' Katy asked dark.

'Hum he went over to church.' Mary explained. 'So tell me what have you done?' She added. It didn't seem like she spoke to me. She looked at Katy the whole time.

'I found my daughter.' Katy mumbled and put one arm around me. Her eyes sparkled. 'I told you I'm gonna help her.'

'Why, I mean when and-' Mary began.

'Mum I told you that I had to help her and I did cause I am her mum don't you understand?'

'Yeah but what does she have that you had to help her?' She asked again. It was really awkward for me.

'Do you wanna tell her?' Katy then talked to me. I swallowed an amount of saliva and looked unsure in her eyes.

'Hum I have- had leukemia- blood cancer.' I mumbled while looking to the floor. Mary's jaw dropped and Katy began telling her the whole story. Her mum interrupted her at some point but most time Katy spoke and told her our 'journey'.