Prologue ||

Prologue

[Zayn’s POV]

I grumbled as I watched him flirting with all these people. He was just your typical douchebag in college. Everyone wanted him. All the girls were willing to get on their knees in a heartbeat and all the guys wanted to make him feel ‘good’.

“Liam, can you help me with my Chemistry homework?” Some girl in a pair of shorts far too short asked him as she batted her eyes.

I rolled my eyes and dove deeper into my book. I was trying to study for Greek mythology test in the common room, because no one is usually around, but of course, a whole parade of people were here today. At this rate, I was bound to head back to my room in about a few moments.

“Baby, I would, but I’ve gotta go and help out a friend. You understand right?” He asked as she giggled and nodded like an idiot.

I have never wanted to smack someone harder in my life. He was a blithering fool. Trust me, I know. We were in Freshman English together and he barely passed. He would try and cheat off everyone and, well, he got his way. That’s just the kind of guy he was. Good looking, charming, and getting on my last damn nerve at this moment.

“Okay bye Liam!” She exclaimed as she skipped merrily on her way. Liam gave her a little wave and then looked over in my direction.

I snapped my head down and looked in my book. I didn’t know what line I was reading about, but I’m pretty sure it had something to do with Hades and Persephone.

“I see you bookworm,” Liam said as his voice got closer.

I swallowed, in hopes of lubricating my voice in some manner, as I felt a cold sweat begging to occur from all of my pores. I really just didn’t want to talk to him. Unfortunately, because it’s me, luck is never on my side. Liam put a finger under my chin and tilted my head up so I could look him in his deep brown eyes.

“Hey there,” he said. I tried to say something, but nothing would come out. I just gave him a small smile before gently removing my chin from his grasp and began to pack up my things.

“Did I scare you?” He asked, looking as though he was almost sorry that I was moving from my study area. I shook my head no I gave him a polite smile.

“You can always say something,” he said as I gathered the last of my belongings. I went to grab my pencil off the table, but Liam was faster. He snatched it up and tucked it behind his ear. I went to lunge for it, but he caught my hand in mid-air.

“Say something,” he said simply.

“Um, c-can I have the thingy, uh, pencil, back?” I asked. I mentally smacked myself for sounding like a fool. Not only had I embarrassed myself, but now my face was beginning to darken a different shade of red as I looked at the floor.

“Alright,” he said as he gave me my pencil back. I didn’t wait for him to say another word as I sprinted from the common room and into the elevator. I made sure to close it as soon as possible because I didn’t want to have to share an elevator ride with him.

I sighed as the elevator hit my floor. I quickly walked down to my room and grabbed my keys out of the front of my bag. I unlocked the door and saw Harry sleeping on the couch. I tried to be quiet as I tip toed into my room, but he was such a light sleeper that it was pointless.

“Hey there,” he said without opening his eyes.

“Sorry,” I said as a greeting. Harry gave a throaty chuckle.

“Don’t apologize because I wake up when a pin drops. Besides, I haven’t moved all day.”

“I’m genuinely surprised you’re passing your classes,” I said as the door knocked.

“I’ll get it, it might be Niall,” Harry said as he went to the door. I went to my room to put my bag down when I heard his voice.

“Hey Harry, what’s up?”

I slammed the door and breathed heavily as I slid down against the door. If I had known Liam was coming over, I would’ve stayed outside. This was horrid. I hated being in the same room as him. He was like a freaking Prince. A stupid, annoying prince. And then I was just that loser who no one really knew.

It sucks being in love with someone unattainable.