Chapter 3: Shall We Dance? ||

3. Shall We Dance?

[Zayn’s POV]

“Why you look dashing sir!” Harry gushed as I straightened my quiff a bit before looking myself over in the mirror one last time.

“Thanks mate,” I said with a smile. I looked quite dapper in a navy blue over coat, a white button up, black dress up pants, and a bowtie. It wasn’t a look I’d wear naturally, but I enjoyed it. Maybe I was wrong avoiding this whole ‘fairytale’ thing all my life. No wonder most kids always wanted to be a prince or a princess.

Don’t get me wrong, I still love my superheroes, but come on. They have powers and wear latex that probably crushes their balls. Being a prince is something different. I mean everyone loves you. That’s a nice feeling. I just wish I knew fairytales better so that I didn’t have to go through the whole thing. I just needed to get through this so it could all end.

“So when is everyone arriving?” I asked as I looked at myself in the mirror some more.

“They’re all here in the ballroom already sir,” Harry said as he dragged me gently away from the mirror. I felt all the blood drain from my face as I realized I would have to deal with people.

“Well, um, maybe I should, um-”

“Now Zayn,” Harry said as he dragged me through the hallways, “you listen here. You will not avoid this ball. You need to find someone to be with. A lot of people here are dying to get to be your future spouse!”

“But it’s only because I’m a prince,” I said. As soon as the words flew out of my mouth, I thought of Liam. I did compare him to a prince earlier, but I don’t know too much about him. Does that make me a shallow person? I really don’t know why I like that stubborn fool. He was a clod most of the time anyways.

“Please try Zayn. Please?” Harry begged as we arrived at the ballroom doors.

“Fine Haz,” I sighed out. Harry smiled and then gave a nod to the door bearers. I heard some muffled noise and then the doors swung open.

Before me were hundreds of men and women applauding as I gracefully stepped into the ballroom. For starters, I knew this wasn’t real because I was graceful. I’m not a graceful guy. I mean I have moments, but mostly I stumble over everything in life.

As soon as I took a quick little bow, the music started up and that’s when hell began.

I wasn’t used to so many people wanting my attention at one time. As I walked through the ballroom, girls would try and bat their eyes in a way to seduce me, while guys slightly flexed their muscles. I rolled my eyes because it was all a tad belittling. I wonder how Liam dealt with it every day. Maybe that’s why he always blew people off or told them he had something to do. Now that I think of it, I don’t even think he’s ever dated anyone at our school.

“Why your highness!”

I turned to see Niall and Louis bowing before me and they looked a little ridiculous. They were dressed in bright colors and shoes to match. I held in a snort as they came back up.