Chapter 1: I'm Not A Prince And This Is No Fairytale ||

1.  I’m Not a Prince and This Is No Fairytale

[Zayn’s POV]

I woke up early so I could get a bit of studying done today. I didn’t want to fall behind on my work because I was trying to graduate in the top five percent of my class. It was a lot of work, but I managed. I always just ‘managed’ though. I didn’t get by and make life simple. Everything was barely attainable most of the time.

I sighed as I swung myself out of bed. It was only nine in the morning and a Saturday so I could spend a lot of time for myself today. Being a double major in English and Art was a hassle. I mean, none of my classes were ever in the same building. It was highly annoying having to run around campus like a maniac.

I sighed as I opened my Art history textbook and grabbed a highlighter from my jar of assorted pens, pencils, and other writing utensils. I needed to ace this test so I could get an A in the class.

I was barely twenty minutes into studying when my door began to rattle with fists that were pounding upon it.

“Zayn! Get up!” Harry called through the door.

“I am up,” I called back not breaking contact from my book. Harry walked into my room, Niall scurrying in behind him, and the smile he once wore dropped a bit as he saw me in my pajamas.

“What?” I asked when I finally looked up at him.

“Why aren’t you ready?” Harry whined.

“For?”

“The fair!” Niall exclaimed as he clambered past Harry to bounce excitedly in front of me. “It’s today! There’s gonna be food and games and rides and food and candy!”

“Niall food is candy,” Harry chuckled as he grabbed Niall’s waist to get him out of my space. I rolled my eyes and put a cap on my highlighter.

“I have to study today,” I said as I swung a leg up on my chair. Niall looked as though he was about to cry, so he did what he did best.

Got Harry to get what he wanted.

“Make him go!” Niall whined.

“Trust me, I will babe,” Harry said. “Look, Zayn, you need to get out of this room. I mean you always study or you’re at work. You need a break.”

“Did Steve Jobs ever take a break?” I retorted at him.

“No and he’s dead now,” Harry said as he went over to my closet. He picked out some black skinny jeans, a white t-shirt and a beanie for me to throw on.

“I really don’t think that’s why he’s dead,” I said thoughtfully as Harry threw the clothes at me.

“Well you will be if you’re not dressed in five minutes,” Harry said. Niall gave a cheer of excitement as they left me to change in peace. I growled in discontent, but I proceeded to get ready. I knew there wasn’t any use arguing with those two. They were like two peas in a pod, if the peas were spoiled.