Chapter 23

Falling For My Brother's Bestfriend

2012 All Rights Reserved

Chapter 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After dinner, the adults had gone to the living room. The TV was on but I know they were just using that as background noise. They were really drinking some wine and chatting it up. It was like I was 10 years old again and it was a typical Friday night where I was getting picked on by my brother and his best friend and our parents were spending quality time with each other.

Mine and Aiden's hand stayed intertwined throughout dinner, not caring that we were having a hard time trying to eat. While the grown ups were busy talking and the boys were up in Blake's room, I was currently finishing up the dishes. I was drying my hands when someone cleared their throat behind me. I turned to see my father leaning against the kitchen wall with a cane in his hand.

"Remember when I always called you BumbleB?" he said. I rolled my eyes and laughed at the old nickname. "Then you turned 9 and said 'I'm not a bee, daddy, I'm a princess'."

I went and put my arms around my father's waist, never wanting to let him go again just in case he disappears for another 16 years. The thought of him leaving again made my heart clench and I winced at the sharp pain. "I can be your BumbleB princess, Dad, just please don't leave again."

He put his cane against the wall and shifted his weight over to his better leg before giving me a bear hug and kissing the top of my head. "I'm not going to, B." He sighed and pulled back so he could wipe away the tears that had fallen from my eyes. "I'm sorry I missed you and Blake growing up but I promise to make up for it."

"Good." I said.

Suddenly, Aiden walked inside the kitchen from the dining room. His eyes widened when he saw that he interrupted something. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt." he said.

My father freed me from his hug and grabbed a hold of his cane. "No, no. We were finished anyways." he slowly walked towards the exit, passing Aiden on the way. When he reached him, he stopped and quickly glanced back at me. "I trust you to take care of my daughter, Aiden." he said to him and I blushed at his protectiveness. "Don't let me down."

"I won't, sir." Aiden nodded but his eyes caught mine and held me captivated.

My dad laughed. "Once again, it's Robert, son. But good." giving Aiden a quick pat on the back, he walked away and left us in silence.

Nervously, I picked at the hem of my shirt. I began to panic when Aiden started walking towards me. I hesitated when he stuck out his hand, willing me to take it. I couldn't control my arm as it lifted itself and placed my hand on his.

Gently, he pulled me towards the glass doors in the kitchen that led to the back yard. When we were outside, we kept on walking until we reached the center. Aiden let go of my hand and sat down. He patted the space next to him, silently asking me to sit down.

We sat in comfortable silence for a long time. My left side was warm due to the fact that it was touching him. My hand was just itching to hold his and my stomach was doing flips in anticipation. 

"Are you still mad at me?" Aiden finally said.

I thought about his question and honestly, I didn't think I was. I was just happy about my father being home and how my family feels whole again. I was also happy that Aiden was here and the feeling of loss went away. But then there was the betrayal, the lying, and the pretend feelings.

"I'm more hurt than mad." I answered.

He sighed and took my hand in his. I tried not to pull back from the tingling shocks I felt. "I honestly don't know how to explain it, Blair. I just thought it was for the best at the time. I didn't realize it would get worse as I dragged it on."