Pup-pup

We get in the car and begin the drive in silence. I watch trees and houses fly by. I start to doze off. We go over a bump and my head slams against the window.
"You ok back there?" Sean says looking at me through the rear view mirror.

"Yeah." I lift my head up and rub it as the throbbing subsides. We've left the suburbs and are going down a rolling country road. I put my elbow on the window sill with my head in my hand.
"Hey, are you still going on tour in a couple weeks?" Signe says to Sean/Jack.

"Uh," he looks back at me in the rear view mirror and smiles when our eyes meet," I told them that I haven't decided."

"When do they need a decision?" Signe questions.

"By the end of the week, but I think I'm going to postpone it to have more time at home right now." Jack says keeping his eyes on the road. I look back out the window.

After about 15 minutes the car slows to a craw and we turn into a long gravel driveway. I sit up straight in my seat and looked around taking it all in. A white two story house comes into view. Before the car stops, a woman appears from within the house. I jump out as soon as we stop and wait for Sean and Signe to get out before following them up the path.

"You ready for the little monster?" The lady says with a huge smile.

"Yes ma'am we are!" Sean says looking back at me and then stepping to the side to make me visible. I smile weakly at the lady as her eyes stare into my soul.

"Come on in, he's waiting." She holds open the door. We climb the wooden stairs and enter the house. I turn and wait for the lady to follow.

I should ask her name.

"Right this way. She leads us down a hallway and to doorway with a wooden fence looking gate. "After you." The lady says to me smiling. I look back at Sean unsure.

"Go..." he encourages.

I step up to the gate and pull up the latch pushing it open. I enter the room. The room had hard wood floor and a large don crate in the corner lined with a big fluffy dog bed. Then I spot two little eyes peering over the lip of the bed. I pat on the floor. A little brown head appears.

"Come here Man." I say in my baby voice. He jumps up and runs over to me, flopping down in my lap and rolling over onto his back. His tongue hangs out of the side of his mouth as I run his belly. "Aren't you just a charmer?" I say laughing.
I look behind me remembering everyone else, they all are standing in the doorway watching me.

"You ready to take him home?" Sean says stepping in the room. The puppy jumps up from his spot in my lap and runs towards Sean. I nod. "Alright", he reaches a hand out to me, which I take, " up we go." I laugh. I reach down and scoop up the wiggly puppy. He twists and turns in my arms as I start heading towards the door.

"Oh, wait, I almost forgot. I'll be right back." The lady says headed down the hall. I look at Sean curiously and then down at the puppy who had stopped his fight to be put down. Sean shrugs his shoulders. So we wait until we hear her come back. Then she appears back in the doorway.

"I got this for him, well, and y'all. Thought the colors were nice." She holds up a dark blue collar with a matching leash.

"Oh yeah, that's nice." I say quietly.
Sean takes it and wraps it around the puppy's neck. The little puppy barley notices, being to busy trying to chew on Sean's wrist to notice. Sean clips the collar ends together and adjusts the size so it's jus loose enough. He clips the leash on but throws the loose end around my neck and let's it hang.

"You ready Honey?" Sean says to me. The corner of my mouth breaks into a smile. "Ok then."

We got down the hall. Signe and I go onto the porch. Sean turns around and shakes the lady's hand. "Thanks you. I'll keep you updated."

"Ok that would be lovely." The lady says excitedly.

We all go out to the car. I slide in the back seat with little puppy in my lap. He jumps out of my grasp and bounds to the widow behind the drivers seat. He puts his front paws on the armrest and looks around.

Sean and Signe get in the front and Sean starts up the engine. I buckle up and watch the little puppy as everything moves around us. Once we get to the main road Puppy starts to get bored and come over and lays down leaning against me. I stroked him down his soft back. After a few minutes I pulled him into my lap. His warmth fills me. I start to rub his head with my thumb and I soon was sleep to with my puppy sleep soundly in my lap.