Prologue

“Mom, I’m going out tonight,” I said.

“No, you’re not. You have to watch your sister tonight,” my mom said.

“No! Mom, she hates me! All she ever talks about is that stupid One Direction band. I’m sick of it. Anyway she’s seventeen, she can stay home alone,” I retorted. My sister hates me. Whenever I talk bad about One Direction she gets our older brother to hurt me. Don't get me wrong, One Direction wasn't the only reason she hated me, just the main reason. She thought I was prettier, more popular, thought my parents liked me more, thought I was annoying, etc. Josh was on the wrestling team in middle school, and high school, and he never lost a match.

“I don’t care! Your father and I are going out with friends tonight and I don’t want your sister’s boyfriend coming over to our house. I told her he’s bad news, but she doesn’t listen. She says he loves him too much to break up with him. Anyway, have fun. We’re leaving,” she said while walking out of the house.

"Love you, too, mom!” I screamed sarcastically at the closed door. Great, I better keep my mouth shut about that stupid boy band. Ever since they were on the X-Factor that’s all she talks about. She loves them so much, and anytime I state my opinion she gets mad and gets Josh, my twenty year old brother, to try and beat some sense into me, I thought.

“Anne!” I screamed. “Get dressed; we’re going to a party tonight!” I really didn’t want to take her, but I had already told my friends I would come. Plus, my friend told me he would pay me to sing at his party because he couldn’t find anyone else who could sing. I think I’m terrible, but my friend would never embarrass me like that, so I trust him.

“Addi! I don’t want to go to some stupid party thrown by your stupid friends. I’m going to hang with Derek,” she screamed back.

“Well, mom said I had to babysit you, so you have to come with me. It’s my graduation party and I’m not missing it. You can invite Derek if you have to. Plus, you’ll get to hang with seniors,” I said, knowing that she’d definitely come if there were seniors to hang with.

“Seniors?” she asked excitedly.

"Yes, seniors,” I said.

“Okay, I’ll come,” she said while running upstairs to her room.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Addi, that was the worst party I’ve ever been to!” my sister screamed while slamming the door shut.

“Anne, you’re just mad that I didn’t sing any One Direction songs. I don’t know the songs well enough to sing them,” I lied.

“Whatever, you hate them!” she said.

“You’re right, Anne! I do hate them. I hate their music, their looks, the fact that they are famous, the fact that people love them, including you, and most of all, the fact that they have great lives, while I’m stuck here with you!” I retorted loudly. Oh no. She’s going to go get Josh, I thought.

“I can’t believe you said that!” she cried while running to Josh’s room.

I ran to my room and locked the door. I knew that if I didn't do something, he would hurt me really bad. I decided that there was only one thing I could do: run.

I hurriedly grabbed my suitcases and started packing everything I could. I packed my clothes, my pictures, my laptop, my cds, the posters on my wall, everything. In the middle of packing, Josh started beating on my door.

“I know you’re in there!” he bellowed. “Come out now, and it won’t hurt as bad.”

I kept packing. I packed my makeup, my shampoo and conditioner, everything I could possibly need. Then I grabbed my phone, got changed, found my wallet, which had ten thousand dollars in it (her grandmother knew that one day, she’d need the money), grabbed a jacket, and opened the window.

“I’m going to count to three, and this door better be open, or I’m going to bust it open,” he screamed.

I knew I couldn’t stay, even though running away was scary. I dropped my suitcases on the ground outside and jumped out.

Thank goodness I got the bedroom on the first floor, I thought.

After I got out, I grabbed my suitcases and ran. I found a taxi, and told the driver to take me to the airport.

I didn’t know where I was going, and I didn’t care. All I knew was, I couldn’t go back home. Not now, not ever.