XVI. Disgust and Mistrust

Song: War of Hearts by Ruelle (the most Fianna/Robb song ever)

Catelyn

"Catelyn, its Edmure," her brother's voice sounded through the wood of the door, knocking his knuckles against it in three short raps.

Catelyn had been in a daze at her dresser, absentmindedly staring at her reflection in the mirror. Guilt coursed through her veins like fire through woodland and she realised that, sadly, it was an emotion she was feeling a lot of lately.

Releasing Jaime had only added to it.

She stood up slowly and swallowed hard. Edmure rarely ever came to visit her actual chambers, so she could hazard a guess as to why he would now.

She smoothed down her dress and glided over to the door, opening it and keeping her expression void of emotion.

"There's been... developments," he began in a rushed tone, crossing past her and into her room. He was holding a scroll in his hand.

"I'm already aware," she said, her hands crossed in front of her.

"You are?" He asked in confusion, backtracking.

"I'm aware that Jaime Lannister has escaped, yes."

Edmure's face twisted then, and Catelyn realised with a jolt that he hadn't known.

"He's escaped?!" He bellowed in an angry tone, heading towards the door of her room and flinging it open violently. "Guards! Go check on the Kingslayer's cell immediately!"

He whirled back around to face her, his nostrils flaring, "how did you know that Cat?"

She looked down at his use of their father's nickname for her, her eyes widened slightly as she contemplated her next words.

"I let him go."

"You what?" Edmure asked calmly, holding in his anger in the hope that he had misheard her.

"Sansa and Arya are held captive in Winterfell, Edmure," she replied in an eerily cool voice, "I am not going to sit around here by the fire any longer. Robb marched to war to get his father and sisters back, not to bargain Jaime Lannister for his own selfish desires."

"Selfish desires?" He echoed. "The boy had a crown put on his head, he is fighting for his people and for his family and you dare to say that he is being selfish?"

Catelyn stayed silent. Not from Edmure's words, but rather a firm desire to no longer want to talk about it. She was distracted by Edmure revealing a scroll in his hand.

"This," he shoved it towards her, "was the news I had meant."

He left the room after she took it from him, slamming the door as he left. Catelyn's eyebrows were scrunched as she traced her fingers over the direwolf stamp that had originally sealed it.