LIX. Firethrowers

SONG: The Night King by Ramin Djawadi

Fianna

Fianna Stark powered through the courtyard of Winterfell, adrenaline having flooded her veins ever since the first sound of the war horn met her ears. With her mace, a thin dragonglass sword and three thousand men at her back, she was ready to keep her new home, and her family, safe.

The atmosphere in the air was heavy, with many sullen expressions. Fianna had taken part in many battles, almost too many for a woman of her age. But never had she felt such defeat before it had even truly begun. Her men, and women, were always excited for an upcoming battle. Ready to prove themselves.

But not today. For today, it had seemed as if everyone had accepted they'd be dying before it even began.

"Fianna!" Bonifer's voice met her ears as she reached the front gate, prompting her to whirl around and greet her grandfather.

"Grandfather," she nodded, eyeing his armour and sword in hand, "you're fighting too?"

"I'm a Knight, Fianna," he huffed, taking offence from her insinuation. "Of course I'll be fighting. I'll be right behind you."

She nodded in gratitude, turning back around to follow after the crowd and trail towards her army's designated area - the left most side of the battlefield. Unfortunately for her, Robb would be on the complete opposite end.

"Have you seen Robb?" She called out over her shoulder, setting towards the top of the vanguard. Tiernan may have been the Lord of Baelfort now, but his men had originally pledged fealty to Fianna - they had fought for her many times, and trusted her leadership. Tiernan was confident enough to admit that.

"No, haven't you?" Bonifer retorted in confusion, right on her heels.

"No," Fianna grumbled, shoulders tense at the thought. She wondered dreadfully where Robb had escaped to. Had the horn rang for some time before she awakened? Surely not, or he'd have gathered the children himself downstairs instead of leaving them.

Upon finally joining Tiernan at the front, she nodded in greeting towards her cousin, who grinned cockily.

"'Bout time, your grace," he drawled, sarcastically using her title. "And there I was thinking I'd be leading by myself."

"Leading men to their deaths, you mean," she teased in return with a lopsided smirk, taking a position at the centre front. Tiernan stood to her left, with Bonifer at her right. Never had Fianna imagined she'd be leading an army of more than the nine hundred she originally held at the start of her reign as Lady of Baelfort, but those numbers had increased massively since she conquered the Dreadfort and the Twins.