XXIX. Family Reunions

Song: The North Remembers by Ramin Djawadi

Fianna

Fianna Stark didn't think she had ever been so cold in her entire life, it was like an ice had settled around her body and refused to melt. Even if the weather hadn't been noticeably cooler these last few months, her thin dress and lack of a cloak would have left her shivering none the less.

Routinely, Fianna would stop mid-walk to sit down and cuddle against Grey Wind's fur for warmth. But she could never stop in one place too long, lest the Freys were looking for her. As unfortunate as her situation was, she was so grateful to have Robb's direwolf along with her, to protect her and to serve as a reminder of her deceased husband.

She followed the navigation skills instilled in her since birth and headed north, albeit she wouldn't get far until she reached a recognisable town or road.

The bone chilling coldness was accompanied by hunger and thirst, her stomach growled often and her lips were dry and cracked. Fianna would stop to collect berries she knew to be safe, but the majority had been poisonous and those that weren't were not filling whatsoever. She could have Grey Wind hunt for them and cook the meat he would return with, but smoke from a fire would give away her position.

Her skin was marked in places by branches that scraped her skin when she shoved through the forest, and her hair was dishevelled and knotted. Even her shoes were beginning to become worn and tatty and they were only new, the dress she wore to the infamous wedding still covered her body like a physical reminder of the horrors it witnessed.

Still, Fianna persevered. Even in the wake of possible starvation, dehydration and hypothermia, she couldn't stop until she reached a town where she could steal items that were needed, and a horse if lucky.

After about two days of walking, with nothing but her mind and a mute direwolf to keep her company, she heard the distinct sound of lapping water nearby. Her neck almost broke with how quickly her head turned to find the source, as she turned off the course to the North to find the source of water.

She stumbled across a wide river, which she knew had to have been the Trident. She realised she was probably close by this entire time, and cursed herself for not finding it sooner.

Not caring about the fact that everything from clothes being washed to bodies being dumped were carried out in this river, Fianna got down on two knees and cupped water into her hands. Quickly, she brought it up to her lips and slurped. She repeated this action several times until she felt hydrated enough, with Grey Wind following and dipping his muzzle into the stream.

When she was quenched enough, she stood up again and was about to brush the dirt off her knees, as useless as that was because she was dirty enough, until something in the river caught her eye.

Fianna squinted at the upcoming stream as a dark mass began to appear over the small hill. She waited as it came closer and closer, interested to see what it was.