XXIII. Wolf-Pup in the Forest

Song: I Will Follow You Into the Dark by Death Cab for Cutie

Fianna

He waited at the door of their chambers anxiously, leaving it open so he could still see Fianna while simultaneously being able to watch for the maester.

"You're making a big deal out of nothing, Robb," Fianna called out with a hoarse voice, her skin had a sweaty sheen to it and her eyes tiredly watched her worried husband fret over her.

It was almost into the early hours of the morning, with not a soul awake yet in Riverrun, when Fianna had rushed from her bed to throw up in the chamberpot. Robb was roused from his sleep immediately, tending to his ill wife even though she had begged him to leave her while she vomited.

He had called for a maester immediately, it had been a week since he took his wife to visit him and her symptoms had stayed the same, fluctuating. But now she was vomiting and the maester had told him prior to this if she exhibited any more symptoms to fetch him.

If it had been a cold she would surely be getting better by now, right?

They were due to start the journey to the Twins when day broke, but Robb wasn't sure she would be able to ride in this condition. Not that he wanted her to.

"Finally," he sighed when the hunched over maester came into sight, hurrying towards the King and Queen's chamber.

"Your grace," he greeted, entering the room and immediately making way towards the queen. "Has her condition worsened?"

"She's been vomiting the last hour or so," Robb closed the door hurriedly, moving to sit by his wife but making sure to stay out of the maester's way.

Maester Burren placed his wrinkled hand over her sweaty forehead, a crease forming between his brows.

"She does feel as if she still has a fever," he commented, "have you eaten today, your grace?"

"Yes, a little," she replied, her eyes struggling to stay open with tiredness.

"Hmm," he hummed. "Your grace," he turned to look at Robb, "may I request to speak with the Queen alone for a few moments?"

Robb was hesitant to leave but after a stern look from Fianna he agreed with a nod of his head, leaving the room and standing outside of the door respectfully.

"In truth, Maester Burren, I am a lot more worried than I let my husband see," she began when Robb was out of sight, looking to him with a suddenly saddened expression.

"Why so, your grace?"

"My father's illness started out much the same, with vomiting and violent mood swings. He would even get angry with me, and he never before got angry with me. The fever had drove him mad," she looked away as she explained, the memories of her father were starting to fade from memory and it broke her heart to think one day she might not remember him at all, or at least, remember him before his illness.