If I Fell

Months went by and I still didn't know whether to marry George or not.

Everyday was the same, no affection for each other until we were alone, which ended up with sex.

That's it.. just sex. At first it wasn't going to be all about lust but lust seems to be coming back.

What happened to love?

Ever since that day I still wear my engagement ring, people have questioned me but I went back to the same answer, "It's just a ring, nothing special".

I sighed.

I wanted a relationship that I didn't have to hide, I wanted an engagement I didn't have to hide. Love seems to be fading.

But also, ever since that day, I have forgiven John. John and I are still very close, like we were before. We never discuss that night to anyone or even to each other. Forgive and Forget.

My telephone rang, I got up from the couch to answer the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Lily. It's John, you know.. next door" He chuckled.

"Heh, yeah. What's up, John?"

"Hey um... I was wondering if you'd like to... go out with me? I-I know we shouldn't b-but... I just. It's just one date, it doesn't have to turn into anything." 

A date? But that would be like cheating on-... It's not even a relationship I'm in. I guess it wouldn't hurt, two friends on a date. Nothing, right?

"I knew this was a bad idea.." John mumbled.

"No, John it's not a bad idea. I..... I'd love to go on a date with you"

"Alright!" I could practically see him smiling by the way he replied.

"We'll go out for dinner, tonight at... 7?"

"Sounds good, John."

"I'll pick you up at 7 tonight then!"

"Alright, see you then John. Bye"

"Bye"

I hung up the phone, smiling.

What to wear..

~~~~~

7 'oclock came by really fast and before I knew it I was out the door getting into the car where John was.

I wore a dark, long-sleeved, green dress, closer to the chest it was cut like a triangle but didn't show any cleavage. The dress went down to my knees.

I walked down to the car with my green heels on to match. My hair was in a bun, not a single hair escaping. I wore crystal studs, leaving my engagement ring at home.

As I walked in the car, I saw John's eyes widen.

"Wow... you look..." He scanned me up and down.

"Gorgeous" he whispered.

I blushed, "Why, thank you, John. You look handsome yourself,"

He smiled, handing me a red rose. "For M'Lady" he bowed in his seat, making me giggle.

"How did you know I like roses..?" I smiled at him.

John smirked at me, "Lucky guess?"

I chuckled.

~~~~~~

After we were done eating we headed to the park just to walk around.

"This seems to be the only town where I won't get trampled," John mumbled.

"Well, that's great. Now we get to be all alone" I smiled at him.

John and I sat down on a bench near a pond.

I looked up at the sky, "This night is beautiful, look at the moon and stars" I said in awe.

In the corner of my eye I see John smiling and just staring at me, making me blush.

"Not as beautiful as you.." John kissed my cheek.

I was still blushing.

"T-Thank you..." I said quietly.

"I mean it" he held my hands.

I was still smiling until I snapped back into reality.

I can NOT fall in love! I can't do this to George! I... I don't love John, I CAN'T love John!

"Are you alright, love?" John asked, my heart fluttered when he said 'love'.

"Um.. y-yeah... I'm alright" I tried to smile, but I think that failed.

"Come on, I know somethings up" He nudged me.

"I'm afraid" 

He looked at me oddly, "Afraid of what, love?"

"That's just it, John... I'm afraid of love. I'm afraid to fall in love after all the hell I've been through the last time.." I confessed.

John pulled me closer to him, holding me, just like he did when Amy died.

"I promise you this, Lily. I'll never do you no harm. But I also want to confess something to."

"What's that...?" I looked into his eyes.

"I love you"