22. Broken

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
BROKEN

- Jimin -

Those mortals shooed us out of the police station since it was late as claimed by them. I snuggled down in the bed and struggled with my eyes closed, but how could I sleep when the person who was supposed to be next to me in this bed had gone missing for hours now?

I recalled the times I was told about how much she loved me every now and then, and all I ever did was ignore hers as well as my own unknown feelings until she decided to stop about a few months back. I assumed it must have been because she was tired of it or maybe because of some other guy.

Never did this thought came to my mind that she must have been aware of what I was doing behind her back, and the worst part was that she stayed, no matter what, just like how I wanted and asked her to, and I even doubted her so many times.

The whole thing made me realize that I was such a selfish brat, and how I still wanted her back in my life. But at this moment, all I wanted was to hear that she was okay. Nothing more. I grabbed my phone in the hope that maybe the line would connect by mistake and decided to call her, but I got a call instead.

It was from the police station, the officer Kim.

"Did you find her?"

My volume dominated whatever the officer spoke from the other line. "Can you come here right now? I was informed that her phone was turned on yesterday around 10 pm, " he asked and I agreed without hesitation.

It was around four in the morning as I grabbed my jacket and I headed out of the house. I knocked on my neighbor's door and asked him to follow me since there was no school today. I was terrified by the sudden call and rocketed my way to the station with this kid.

"Mr. Jimin?"

"Did you find her?" that was what I asked the officer again.

"I sent a team to check the whole area, and they sent me some pictures. Do you think this earring belongs to her?" he gestured towards his computer screen and I stood up to observe what was there.

The earring in the picture was the same as her, but I denied it was hers. There must be a lot of similar earrings in the market. "Where's this place? Take me there, " I demanded. "I'm sorry. I can't take you there, " he apologized.

"You'll either take me there or lose this job? You choose."

I felt bad for this and my neighbor was not amused as well but it worked anyway.

Three of us got into my car and I drove to the location. I was confused about the destination since I was asked to stop on a highway, and this officer led us to the forest. "Why are you going to the forest?" Hyungsik spoke up my mind.

"This is the place where her phone was turned on and the earring was found."

I was far from staying calm anymore, and my eyes began to get teary. I prayed for her to be safe as I followed the two until I noticed a few people in a similar uniform as the officer Kim. "Sir, I was about to call you, " one of them walked to us.

"This phone. I think it's hers."

I pushed whoever blocked my way aside and rushed to the check. "This is her phone?" I recognized it but denied again and stepped behind.

"There is blood behind the stone."

My whole body shivered upon hearing that word. "B-Blood?" I decided to walk away from this place, trying to convince myself that these clues did not belong to her, but I was stopped from running away.

"What about this bracelet?

It's design and the initials engraved in it specified to whom it belonged to. I wanted to deny again, but not anymore. "I gifted her this-" I was not allowed to touch since it was their so-called evidence and required gloves to do so.

The team was ordered to search for her body, and I saw blurry images of humans running here and there until I fell on my knees. "Can you take him to the car?" I heard a voice.

"I'm not going anywhere."

I stayed and waited.

A lot of questions began to bother me as I cried to myself. I wanted answers to why would she come in this place and not to the place I asked for? I remembered the time she said how she could see no future of us together. It was definitely a hint on how she had intentions to leave me.

This might be only a setup.

No.

I was going crazy.

"It's been six hours now. There is no sign of her. I think some wild animal might have taken her body."

"But there are no animals in this part of the forest."

"There are some about 10 km from here and sometimes pass by here at night when they lose their way."

"It might be true, but there must be dragging marks or dry bloodstains on the ground. There are none-"

It was a phone call that cut off officer Kim and he excused himself for a few minutes, but the moment he came back after the phone call, he changed his statement, making it suspicious for everyone.

"The wild animals must have taken her body, and this case should be closed, declaring her as missing."

The person who was talking about dragging marks and all just a while ago was saying all of this. No one present here was dumb, and I had no hesitation to grab this human by his collar. "How much are you getting paid for this?" but I was pulled back by the other officers from doing something worst.

"Sorry, but it's an order from our head and we have no power against him, " he said politely, hanging his head low.

"I'll PAY YOU DOUBLE. Please find her, " I cried.

Everyone ignored our request and walked away. "That phone call. My Jihee, " I broke down in front of my neighbor. "Let's leave this place, Hyung. It can be dangerous for us, " he tried to convince me and was forced to listen to him.

I cried all the way back and prayed for all of this to be a nightmare or find her in our home waiting for me. It could not drive at this state, so my neighbor did and brought me back to home. I appreciated how he was there for me without any complaint.

"Jiminie Hyung!" I turned around.

"Jungkook?"

"Are you okay?" he got worried.

"He is not okay. Take care of him, " the kid handed me to the other one and headed off to his place.

I could not look into his eyes and expected him to inquire about my state.

"What happened?"

••••••••••

"Maybe I deserve all of this"

••••••••••