34. Police

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR:
POLICE

- Jimin -

A door to my right and a window in front of me. It was like a mirror to me but there was another room behind the window from where other officers could see us. I was the first suspect to sit here for the interrogation regarding her kidnap and attempt to murder.

I watched myself in the mirror and tried to act cool until an officer walked in. He took a seat across me and began to talk about the exact things my friend here yesterday told me. I pretended to be shocked about the things I already knew.

Officer Jung Hoseok, as per his badge.

"Where were you on that day? Tell me every place you visited and what time of the day?" he asked me.

"I went to the office in the morning before I went to prepare for our date. I reached Hangang Park around 3 and I waited for her till around 6:30. I went to check the coffee shop after that. I ended up going to my house and knocked on my neighbour's door for help around 7. We came back to the park and asked the people there if anyone had seen her. Later we went to the police station around 8 and then back home, " I sure was nervous by the way he was looking at me even though I was innocent.

"You seem to remember the time really well, " he commented.

"I lost my girlfriend that day. How would I not remember? I was checking the time every few minutes. She went missing and never came back until after two years. I thought she was dead, " I almost broke down in tears in front of him.

"How'd you feel when you came back?" he sure was testing my patience.

I had consulted already with my lawyer yesterday and planned what to say and what not say. But could not bring him here today because my friend who told me this could have to go with the consequences.

"That doesn't concern you or your case, " I knew he had no right to force me to say anything regarding this matter.

"The point here is, you didn't kidnap her but you hired someone else for the same and kill her. So it doesn't matter where you were, " he said which I already knew.

"I didn't hire anyone to kill her. I fucking love her. I was gonna confess to her that day, " I was prepared to tell the truth no matter what and stay silent if it was too personal.

"Fine! Let's talk about this. From what we know, you had an intimate relationship with your assistant, so it is unusual to even think about a date with her. And confess what? That you were having sex with the assistant?"

Everything seemed to be against me and I did seem to have a reason to do something like that. But I did not. I loved her so much. I only had the truth to defend myself, nothing else. I was trapped in this but I had to get out and tell her that I was not the one who did it.

- Jihee -

"You're okay?" Namjoon asked.

I nodded my head but I sure was not okay. This was not a good idea. I shouldn't have come here in the first place. But now I already did, I wanted to stay till the end. I watched him closely when the officer brought his assistant into the conversation. There was a moment of silence in that room.

"Sure you checked my bank statements. Did you and any unusual payments or withdrawals?"

No wonder he changed the topic. I wanted to hear what he would say about it. That caused me to think if it was really him who wanted to kill me. There was no proof that it was him. It was because he was innocent or too smart.

"You can always pay cash. And it sure ain't difficult to get huge amount cash for a rich lad like you."

"Fuck you."

"This reminded me of your assistant. Where did she disappear? Where is she now?" the officer asked.

"I don't know. But what I do know now is I have a right to stay silent and ask for my lawyer, " he acted confident.

"Sure. Thank you for your time."

Both of them walked out of that room and I waited for a while until I walked out as well. I saw him walking out of the police station but he turned around and saw me. My heartbeat suddenly accelerated and I looked away. I could feel him walking towards me now.

Namjoon rushed to me as soon as he noticed him approaching as if he was some criminal and was going to hurt me.

"You think I've done that, right?" his voice cracked.

"No, " I shook my head.

"But I still love you, " and he walked away.

It was so hard to see him like this. I knew I hurt him. But I was confused after what I witnessed earlier. I did all of this because I wanted to know he was innocent and who was the real person behind it.

I was lost.

"I actually called you to tell you about the kidnapper. Let's go to my office and talk, " officer Jung asked two of us to follow him.

"Busan department called in the morning and the kidnapper has been in the custody for a week now for a different charge. Now they are interrogating about this but his response is the same. Park Jimin. We are trying to get proof against him as well as the interrogation with the kidnapper. I hope he will tell the real person behind this or we'll get the proof to prove his statement. If it gets necessary, we'll transfer the kidnapper in this department. Let's see what happens. And yeah we're trying to find his ex-assistant.  I'll inform you if anything comes up, " he told us and excused himself for some meeting he had to attend.

I thanked the officers and walked out of the police station with my police friend here. I had been travelling in this vehicle provided by the department him to keep me safe which he used to drive.

I thought about this morning about the job while he was driving. I had to take training for a week from an institute before starting my job but my service period would start from tomorrow, so good news for me and my suffering bank account.

This officer was going with me, but I needed to admit that I was slowly enjoying his company. It was not as awkward as the first day.

"It's either he is a good actor or he really loves you, " the one beside me spoke.

"What?"

"I mean if he is guilty, he is a good actor, otherwise—"

"Maybe you've mistaken."

••••••••••

"I never knew I could feel so much pain, and yet never want to let go of the pain"

••••••••••