Chapter 20- Can't Wait

I grabbed my notebook for science class and mentally prepared myself for what stupidity that would come out of Austin's mouth in a few minutes. As I shut my locker, I looked to my left to see if Shawn was at his locker, but he wasn't there.

Maybe I should wait for him. His teacher probably held him back.

After 2 minutes of waiting, he didn't show up, so I decided to walk to my class alone.

"Hey", Austin greeted me when I walked through the door.

"Hi", I said back unenthusiastically.

I sat next to him to get started on our project that we were assigned earlier in the week.

As I was working, I couldn't stop thinking about why Shawn wasn't at his locker. He's always at his locker at the same time everyday. Where could he have been?

I pulled out my phone to text him quickly. I hid my phone under the table as I typed.

To: Shawn

'Hey. Why weren't u at ur locker a few minutes ago?'

It took less than a minute for him to respond.

From: Shawn

'I was showing the new kid around. Sorry I didn't walk u to ur class.'

To: Shawn

'Oh that's ok I understand. Tell the new kid I said hi :)'

He responded with a simple 'will do'. I didn't know there was a new kid. I haven't seen him around. I guess I'll see him later, though. I hope he's cool. I need another friend around here.

"Who are you texting?" Austin asked.

"Why do you care?" I asked with an attitude. That kid gets on my nerves everyday.

"I don't."

"Then why did you ask?"

"Never mind. Just drop it", he said.

The period seemed to go by pretty quickly. When the bell rang, I gathered my stuff and left the room in a hurry. LUNCHTIME!!

"Marie! Wait up!" someone yelled behind me.

I turned around to see who it was. Bree. I smiled as she made her way over to me.

She flipped her light brown hair over her shoulder and smiled at me.

"Hey. What's up?" I asked.

"Do you have any extra money? I forgot to bring some this morning and I'm super hungry", she said.

"No, sorry I don't", I replied. I thought for a second. "But I can share my food with you."

"Thank you so much!"

"No problem", I said. "Hey, have you seen the new kid?"

She stood and though for a few seconds then responded, "Oh, you mean Joe?"

"Uh, yeah I guess", I said. I wasn't sure what his name was.

"Well I'll see you at lunch", she said.

I nodded and walked to my locker to put my stuff up.

I walked through the doors and made my way over to where Shawn and Bree sit. As I was walking, I saw the back of an unfamiliar person sitting in between Shawn and his friend Sam. She had long blonde hair flowing down her back. I saw the side of her face as she turned her head to face Shawn. She was laughing and twirling her hair with her finger.

"Hey guys", I said sitting next to Bree and across from Shawn.

"Oh, hey Marie!" Shawn exclaimed. "Marie, this is Joe", he said motioning towards the girl.