Chapter One

Yufa

As the night crawls in every corner of the house, the silence becomes deafining. The stillness of the furnitures and the absence of lights makes the house more hollow. Yet, I am sitting alone in the living room reading my favorite book. With only the lampshade thats been lit, the entire living room looks like a cave of elegance as the tiny orange rays reach out towards the nearby ceramics and curtains.

While all the servants went to bed, I was up, trying to keep myself awake. Sometimes, I would be writing my daily diary entry or just sit there, scrolling my newsfeeds trying to find some entertaining post that will keep my eyes open. Any distraction would be welcome.

The flipping of pages and the faint ticking of the clock is the only audible sound across the room. I've almost read all the books that have been sitting on the dusty shelves of the house's library and I'm afraid I have nothing to read for the coming days. Most of the books were fantasy written by famous writers such as J.K Rowling, Edgar Allan Poe and plenty of writers I've never heard before. I'm surprised the previous owner of the house collects this kinds of books considering their Nathan's family was into business.

Nathan. Where was he anyway?

Its half past ten and still he isn't home. No messages. No phone calls. Nothing. He keeps on forgetting to inform me about his whereabouts.

Forgetting for six months now?

This isn't my first time staying late at night, waiting for him. It has become a habit, gradually become a necessity. I couldn't fall asleep without knowing he's home safe and sound. I felt guilty whenever I go to bed with him still nowhere. Sometimes I couldn't help myself but think of the possibilities as to why he is late. It keeps me awake and nervous. Relief washes over my nervousness when he finally comes home.

Just as I resumed reading, the door swung open and Nathan stumbled inside, holding tje door knob for support. His necktie was loose and his raven black hair, disheveled looking always handsome. He was staggering as he closes the door behind him.

Even on a drunken state, he was gorgeous. He wasn't all muscles type of a guy. He was lean but well built. I've only seen him topless and I saw his six packs sitting on his abdomen screaming to be touched. Considering the nature of his work, he rarely had time to work out his body. He had a fair complexion too. But whats most attractive about him is his eyes. They were gray, cold and scary. He is everything a woman could ever wish for. Who would have thought that the unnoticed Yufa Chen would be married to Nathan.

He's drunk again and thats completely mormal to me. I mean, he's drunk almost everyday. Its very rare for him to come home without a taste of whiskey. The first couple of days being married to him, was hard. I feel nervous whenever he came stumbling on that door. I expected him to be a talker, noisy and violent. I was do afraid that he'll hurt me, throw blames and accusation, but he's not. He is quite and would usually go straight to the bedroom, brush his teeth, change into cotton pajamas and sleep topless.

Without a second thought. I put down my book and rushed to aide Nathan. I was about to help him with his bags when he snatched it away from me. Now thats new. Usually, he let me take care of his things when he arrived and that makes me feel somehow useful.

"Don't." His usually cold voice became hollow.

He started to head for the stairs without even glancing at my direction. I know he's tired and probably want to sleep right away, but my conscience wouldn't let him walk away. I wanted to make something for him. Perhaps a hot or cold drink to ease his probably throbbing head.

"Would you like something to drink?" I asked hoping that I could be of help.

"No." he reached the base of the stairs and started taking his steps.

"Coffee perhaps?"I started to follow him, like a reporter, eager to hear an interesting response from a celebrity.

He stopped in his tracks, clearly annoyed of my persistence. He turned to me and glared. I felt my stomach twist violently as his menacing gray eyes meet my brown ones. I never saw him so aggravated before. Even in faint light, I could see his jaw twitching.

"I said, no." his voice is distant, but his eyes speaks volume. Like it was screaming how useless I am. I could feel my tears starting to pool in the corner of my eyes. How could a man be so cruel to another. I only wanted to help him. I wanted him to see the things I am doing for him. I never wanted him to appreciate it, but at least respect it.

"I.. I was waiting for you. ." I choked the remaining words because continuing means breaking down into tears and I dont want to him to see me at such a pitiful state.

"No one told you to do so." He made his way upstairs as fast as his long strides could take him. As soon as I hear him shut the door to the bedroom, I sunk myself back into the couch and cried my heart out. This always happens when Nathan arrives. He would always rejects my offers and push me away like Im some kind of a deadly virus. But tonight, I saw something different in his eyes. Something close to loss and anger. Whatever happened to him this day, surely it had him on edge. I couldn't also shake off the feeling of being the reason behind it. Even if this happens on a daily basis, it still hurts like hell. The rejection still weighs down a hopeful soul.

But I need to endure it, extend my patience to infinity if I want to earn a little of his respect. I will keep trying my best to be a good wife to him even if he keeps rejecting me. Persistence breaks anything. Still with a heavy heart, I wipe my tears, compose myself and head upstairs. Slowly, I opened our bedroom and find it empty. Nathan had gone to the guest room. All thats left behind was the faint scent of his cologne and his clothes littered on the floor. He never slept in this room, our supposed to be room, or even with me. I always slept alone and tonight is no exception. Because I was married to Nathan. Not just an ordinary Nathan. He's Nathan Giuseppe Polaveja, heir to Doña Alejandra Hotels, the coldest man I've ever met.

Vote. Comment. Enjoy