Chapter Eight

Nathan

Upon reaching my room, I grab a bottle of whiskey and pour myself a drink. I shouldn't have done that to her. She was just a victim of this marriage, just like me. Trapped inside this matrimony which none of us wanted. She is innocent. Hell, it was her first time and I took it out of anger. I must've hurt her, I knew it. I'm not blind to her efforts. She learned things from Martha just to attend to my needs. Staying late at night waiting for me is certainly what every wife should do if their husbands isn't around when the clock strikes midnight. I am aware of all the things she's done inside our home. But I don't like any of it. I hate her doing things for me. I hate to see her falling asleep on the couch waiting for me. I hate her touching my things let alone eavesdropping on me. I felt so angry when I found her by the door looking so helpless at the broken porcelain she knocked of. I hate her talking to me. I hate everything about her. I don't know what so wrong about her that whenever she was near, the revolting feeling I have for her gets higher. She is beautiful, I gave her that. She learned quickly but so stubborn that sometimes I want to shake her and pound into her brain the things I don't want about her.

The thing is I cannot return her affection. My capability of loving someone else died on the day I met Yufa. I was so excited traveling to China when I heard my father, Nate , is having a meeting with potential investors from Asia. I also heard my mom, Ali and my sister, Arriane was coming to the same event. I know this was a great opportunity to surprise them. For years, I wasn't attending any of Nate's events after he married my sister off to one of the sons of his business partner, which happened to be Arriane's boyfriend at the time. I detests his ideas on arranged marriages and I have a feeling that he's gonna do the same to me if I don't make a move. I brought Alana with me to China. She was my girlfriend for eight years now at the same time my fiancé and I plan to introduce her to my family. By the time I introduce her as my fiancé, they can't do anything about that. Even if my father plans on marrying me off to somebody else, I already beat him by taking Alana with me. Confidently, I walk Alana towards the venue for all to see and for all to witness the look on my father's face when I will break the news. That would be priceless. I was surprised to see the venue wasn't exactly the place I imagined. The place looked like nothing close to an investor's meeting. It's odd to see everything in white. It even had a small platform with a long table full of flowers. Somehow, the feeling of unease slowly gnaw my insides. I felt something was wrong about the meeting. Why would my whole family attend such an investor's meeting so far away from home?

Looking at Alana, I saw everything in her. She was everything to me. I couldn't imagine a day without her. She was my anchor when everything was crumbling under my toes. She helped me to get up on my feet and be back on my tracks. I couldn't wait ta call her Mrs. Polaveja. When this is over, I will plan the wedding as soon as possible. Everything was going so smooth inside my mind. I even pictured her out in a wedding dress on the day of wedding. That time, nothing in the world could contain the happiness I felt. Until my father shattered everything I was hoping for. I was called up on the stage and I have no idea what was happening. Nate uttered a single name in my ears that was enough to to make all my plans fall apart. That was enough to keep me on his leash and I couldn't do anything about it. Alana is my everything and I cannot let any harm come to her. He flashed me his most devilish smile before he move to announce my engagement. My fucking engagement towards someone I don't know. I knew my father very well, I'm not surprised how he found out about Alana. He can do whatever he wants, if he wanted to. I fear what he will do to her if I don't bid his will. I turn towards the table where my bride-to-be was supposedly seated and there she was, a young Chinese woman with strangely large eyes. She was beautiful, but Alana will always be prettier than her. I eyed the woman whom I will be spending the rest of my days. Mentally, I told myself that this is the woman who ruined everything in my life, the woman who took Alana away from me. That was enough to hate her so much that I couldn't bear to see her face or even be at her presence. I was the angriest man alive that moment.

For the past months, I was living like a corpse in human flesh. I wander aimlessly and spend money on useless things such as wine and whores. My company, rather my father's company was falling apart, I don't care. Why work hard when everything I ever wanted is now reduced into ashes. Since my engagement, I didn't see Alana. No matter how I search for her, I couldn't find any traces of her and it frustrates me so much. Not knowing what happened to her was enough to drive me nuts. Wherever she is now, I hope she is safe. And if something happened to her, I knew who to blame and I swear that will be the end of this marriage or partnership between my father and his Chinese investors. And as for my dear wife, she will remain my wife but not my other half.

Finally, a chapter inside Nathan's head. What do you think? Let me know on the comments.

Vote. Comment. Share. Enjoy 😊

---Maiah