Chapter Twenty

Nathan

There was blood all around her. It spread quickly, staining the linoleum. Momentarily I was frozen on the stairs, contemplating on what on earth was happening.

She fell.

She bloodily fell from the stairs.

There was bloood.

Too much blood.

There were no audible sounds, save for the sound of blood rushing violently inside my ears. My senses stopped working all at once. I cannot think. I cannot breathe. I just stood there with my eyes wide with fear. What had just happened?

If not for Martha's incoherent screams, muttering something im spanish I wouldn't budge from where I was standing. I didn't know how did she came here or where she came from. All I know was before Yufa fell unconcious, Martha came kneeling beside her, catching her limp body.

"Señorito! Por favor!" She pleaded, her face wet with tears.

All the drunkenness vanished and was replaced by a shot of adenaline, forcing me to get on my feet. Quickly, I get down from the stairs. I scoped her up, carrying her bleeding body towards my car. Martha was in tow still crying, begging Yufa to keep holding on.

I fumbled for my keys, searching my pockets only to find them still ignited on the keyhole. I drove as fast as I could to reach the nearest hospital and rushed her to the emergency room. I didn't care how bloody I am or how messy I am right now. All I wanted was someone tell me what is going on. I lost all senses and the only thing that kept running inside my head was 'what happened?'.

I sat outside the emergency room waiting for whoever will come out of that goddamn room and deliver the news we've been dreading for. Fear gnawed at the back of my neck as I saw my blood stained shirt. How much blood did she lose? I didn't mean for her to fell on the stairs. Oh God! I didn't mean to.

"Nathan! What happened?!" Somebody came. What happened indeed. Why would someone ask me what happened? I didn't know right? I was asking myself the same thing since this all happened. But do I really don't know? Or was I too afraid to admit it was my fvcking fault that she fell?

"Nathan! Answer me!" I was dragged from my deep thoughts. I looked up and found Arriane searching my face for answers.

"Arriane? How-..."

"I called her and she wasn't answering so I called your landline. The maids said you rushed her in the hospital so I searched for the nearest one. Now what happened, Nathan? Is she alright?".

"I-I don't know..."

Before I could finish, the door opened and a doctor came out. Arriane amd Martha rushed to her, asking about Yufa's condition.

"She is stable, for now but still unconscious. We'll be transferring her to a room any second now." She breathed but her eyes were uncertain. She looked at me. "Follow me, Mr. Polaveja."

She walked past me amd I did not have a choice but to follow her suit. Arriane and Martha was relieved to know Yufa was fine, but something tells me it's not. Somehow, I still feel that there is something I should worry about. I felt something was not right. Something felt amiss. Not only did the fear gnawed my neck but it start gnawing my insides too.

I continued to follow her until we reached her office. She beckoned me inside and offered me a seat. I really don't feel like feeling comfortable right now. I wanted her to spill whatever the problem is or I'd go crazy if I spend another second on my chaotic thoughts.

"Your wife's condition was very sensitive. I told her to be very careful with what she eat and keep herself from doing hard works. She has fractures and some cuts on her head" She said, removing her glasses and setting it on the desk.

"Cut the introductions, Doctor. Tell me her condition. Is she sick or does she need blood? She waa bleesing. Please attend to her needs as soon as possible..." The doctor eyed me sharply. She leaned on the desk, clasping her hands together.

"There is no medication for her, Mr. Polaveja." She  said flatly.

"What do you mean no medication? Are you kidding me?" Is she trying to play jokes with me? We'll I'm not buying any of it. "If it's money you want, name your price. I will pay you so long as you keep her alive."

"You do not understand me Mr..."

"Tell me what I do not understand!" This time, I raised my voice. I do not like any of this. "Don't keep me in the dark. Is she sick?"

She pursed her lips, looking nervous as she roamed her eye around the room.

"Well?" I urged her.

She let out a heavy breath before meeting my eyes.

"The baby didn't make it."

The revelation didn't settle in my head. What is she talking about?

"I'm sorry? What was that again?" I'm sure I didn't hear her properly.

"Whatever happened between you two, iI didn't know. It's just the impact on her body was too much for the baby and bleeding didn't stop causing her lose him. She had a miscarriage. I'm sorry."

"S-She's pregnant?" The words tumble from my mouth.

"You didn't know? It's been three months, more or less." The doctor was confused.

She was pregnant. With my child. How? I raked my mind trying to remember everything that happened. The memories are so distant, I cannot reach them. I tried to think harder. Then something clicked. Back when I caught her eavesdropping. Back when I was so furious and forced myself into her. Gods! What have I done?

Everything seemed to crash down on me. All my thoughts, my fears, my guilt seemed press me further into the abyss. They're too much. Their weight was too much to bear.

No. This is not happening. My child. Our child didn't make it. Miscarriage. All of it was my fault. Wordlessly, I walked out of the room still hearing her words playing over and over again. My feet felt heavy yet my body was airborne. My chest was hollow like those of the balloons. I was walking but I didn't know where I was going. My feet kept walking as if an invisible force was dragging it towards it's desired direction. Towards nothing. I looked at my hands, the hands that were stained with my child's blood. The blood of an innocent soul that payed for the price of my sins. The one that sacrificed for all the wrongdoings, the mistreatments and the pain that I caused to Yufa.

My eyes blurred with the tears that formed in my eyes. I shouldn't be shedding tears right now, because I don't have the right to. My tears won't bring him back nor it would pay my sins. They are just useless as I am right now.

From my periphery, I saw a couple walking, no a family. They were holding a bunch of joy in their arms.  I watched them greet their baby with warm smiles and unconditional love. The mother let the father hold the baby. He took the baby carefully while his smiles never left in his face or even in his eyes. I didn't appreciate the beauty of a family up until now. That father could be me, months from now. I would be smiling just like him if only.... If only I wasn't that stupid to let harm come into my child. If only I wasn't that stupid to be that harm. I continued staring at them until they disappeared right in the corner.

I collapsed at nearest chair I could find and buried my face into my stained hands. For the longest time I felt truly at lost. It was all my fault. Silently, I mourned at the child I could never have.

************************

A/n

Sorry for the grammatical errors. Been writing using my phone for the mean time since I can't use laptop. You know having a son, sometimes gives me hard time.

What do you think?

Vote,Comment and Enjoy.

---Maiah❤