Chaper Twenty Five

Nathan

It had been a full week since the loss of our baby. I rarely see Yufa inside the house which I think would be normal. I understand if she isn't feeling well or if she never wanted to see me again. Arriane still doesn't want to see me either. I tried calling her but it goes straight to the voicemail which clearly indicates that she is avoiding me. The only person that talked to me was Martha. My old nanny who never left my side at times like this. I was like a son to her and she was more like a mother to me. She provides comfort as much as the amount of sermon I received from her.

I returned to office after 3 days but my mind was entirely not working on business. I worried about Yufa since she spends most of her time inside the infants room, crying herself to sleep. Oftentimes, I listened to her and even peek through the door if she was too focused on folding the blankets inside the cradle. As much as I wanted to offer her comfort, it would be the worst idea and difficult to pull. She hates me enough that even my breath on her skin makes her uneasy.

When I opened the door, I was greeted by a lone lamp sitting in the middle of darkness. Beside the lamp, Yufa sat in the couch in her usual spot. My heart raced when she shifted lightly in her seat. Had she been waiting for me? My hopes bubbled inside and I grew excited and giddy. I remember all those nights I came home and she was there waiting for me. She would often jump on her feet and offer me food or coffee. Her eyes had always this familiar glint that suggests her excitement even though she was shaking. But as I look into her face, gone were the smiles and the familiar glint her eyes held. They were empty and sad. As much as my hopes hiked up, it quickly plummeted down at the sight of her stoic face. She wasn't waiting for my safe arrival, she was waiting for entirely something and it makes me nervous.

"We need to talk." Chill crept into my body as her voice broke into the night like winter wind. Her voice was hollow. I'm not even sure if it was Yufa who was speaking. Gone were her sweet, caring voice and was replaced by an entirely different personality.

"O-Of course." I said amd quickly head for the closest chair to her. "What is it?" I can no longer mask the uneasiness as I stare into her passive face. She kept her silence while staring into the darkness. Other than her passive face, she betrayed no emotions save for being calm.

Time seemed to pass painfully slowly as I await for her to say something. Something that will break the ice between us. This isn't somethinh to look forward to but I dreaded on what was she wants to talk about. A smaller part of me hoped to hear good news from her but the greater part of me screamed to brace myself for an inevitable bad news.

"I'm filing for a divorce." Ice tingled along my spine as I processed the news, slower than I used to. She wants divorce, I repeated over and over again.

"Are you asking for my permission?"

"No, I'm not. Just informing you. After all, our marriage has served it's purpose." She put emphasis on the last phrase while the rest was laced with venom. I shouldn't be surprised. In fact I should be happy. At last, my long awaited freedom is finally neing served on a platter, waiting for me feast on it. But why I'm feeling the other way around? Why do I feel bad about it? Why am I sad?

"We're still husband and wife and I think you are still entitled to know everything I do inside this house." She continued spitting venom on my face and all I did was listen. "We're both unhappy and mesirable. Nothing keeps this marriage on a good ship. Enough is enough."

With one final look, she left me on the couch with a little next to nothing chance on asking her more question. What is there to ask anyway. She is right. We're both unhappy and miserable. I know she wanted to rub the death of our baby on my face but she choose not to. I would feel so much better if she did. At least I know she could release some her burden into me so we could share the pain. But she kept the pain to herself and chooses divorce over a good talk.

I can't blame her. I took her for granted. I hated her and discarded all her efforts. I cheated on her and killed our baby. All people have limits and I guess she reached hers. All I did to her was hurt her and cause her pain. No amount of regret will ever heal her.

"Divorce it is."

************************

A/n

Hello? Did you cast yoir votes yet? If not then kindly go back to tje chapters that touched you and click the little star waving at you.

---Maiah❤