Chapter Four

Yufa

I married Nathan because of money.

No. That is an understatement. I married him because of power, influence and stability.

I married him because thats what my family told me to do.

I married him because I don't have a choice.

Society believe that being born into a rich family means having the world within your reach. Fuck that.    Prisoner has more freedom than this filthy rich families.

I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth. Branded things, cars, expensive jewelries and blings, shoes and bags of all sorts of brands, name it. I could go to places whenever I want. I could waste money in useless things without even batting an eye. Of course, I'm the youngest daughter of Henry Chen, Asia's famous businessman and jeweler who owns several mining companies in different parts of Asia, a filthy rich asian. But behind those luxuries were the cries left unheard, the caged freedom and a bleeding heart. Whenever I buy useless branded things, I wish I had my parents beside me, choosing them for me, instead of the guards who follows me wherever I go. I go to random places because I wanted to escape the deafening silence of our home. I waste money because I couldn't buy the joy of having a family eating dinner together. Having a family of businessmen means seeing each other rarely. I envy those children who grew up having next to nothing because it brings them together. They could enjoy dinner with both parents telling them stories and listening to their dreams. Growing up with plenty of nannies sucks. I mean my nanny is a kind old woman but she really doesn't fit to replace my mother. Nobody does.

As time goes by, loneliness becomes my constant companion. Others may think I have a happy life. That I get to enjoy the luxuries I have. That spending money is something that brings joy to the heart. They are all wrong, because being born with a silver spoon is a curse. A curse you would bear until bankruptcy came knocking at your door. Loneliness is unbearable that I made a vow to myself that if ever I have family in the future, I will give them everything. Everything that money can't buy. I will marry because of love, not because of money. That is until my papa brought me the news that will turn my whole world upside down.

My papa had arranged a wedding for me to a man I have never heard of. I am to marry Nathan Giuseppe Polaveja and the engagement is set in three days time prior to the wedding. Imagine how quick time revolves around me. One day I was daydreaming of having a family and marrying someone I love and then suddenly I am entering the gates of holy matrimony. I couldn't believe my papa.

I tried several attempts on escaping my papa but I failed. Before I knew, the house was locked down and the security is on alert. He knew I would do something foolish so he beat me in doing so. I had no choice but to lock myself in my room.

On the third day, my mama came knocking at my door along with our maids.  They forced me out of bed and dress me with a silk dress that run just below my knees and put a light make up into my face. Staring at my reflection on the large vanity mirror, I saw a girl who wore more sadness and loneliness than she already is. Like a bird that never learned to fly. Today, my fate will be sealed. I silently mourn over the promise I couldn't fulfill.

My mama was sad. She didn't have to tell me because its all over her face. Words aren't her best of friends. Maybe, we rarely see each other but I knew her enough that I could figure out what she is thinking. She was sad because papa's words are absolute and she can't do anything to save me from this marriage. She knew my papa's noble intentions and more like she doesn't want to anger papa. I knew its hard for her to look at me now, harder than any of my sisters. I'm just nineteen and my father is selling me off. Compared to my sisters, I wasn't raised to be the perfect bride. While they are studying business with papa's business advisors, I was given the chance to study outside the mansions but still keeping a leash on my neck. His guards were following me wherever I go. From the moment my sisters were born, papa planned everything for their future. They were meant to stabilize our family's business by creating ties between other wealthy families which is marriage. To secure his name, he does whatever it takes.

After everything was done, mama led me out of the house where papa's limo was waiting. This was it, my silver carriage that would take me to my doom. Every step I take towards the waiting vehicle, the heavier my steps were. I wish the surface would crack open and swallow me whole to escape this impending doom. I wanted to run and hide but my mama's grip on my hands were firm as stone keeping me in place.

The drive towards the venue was short yet I felt it was the longest one I had. Plenty of things were running inside my head that I don't know what to think about. I look back at the life I am leaving behind. It was lonely, yet I could still dream about my future and hope that someday I can do better than this. I would bet anything so I could go back to where I used to be. But this is my reality now, Im not dreaming anymore.

The slight coughing of the chauffeur brought me back to the reality I was thinking about. With a shaking hand, I get out of the car facing the venue of my engagement. It was Beijing's most luxurious hotel towering the surrounding skyscrapers. Mama urge me to go inside and I followed without a word. She led me into mazes of turns and elevators which I don't really care. Finally we stopped in front of polished wooden doors that sparks when caught by the lights with two guards stood at the side. I felt nervous staring at the doors that will cut me from my undesirable life into a more complicated life. Behind this doors, my soon-to-be-fiancé is waiting. I don't expect anything from him because I know, he's also a victim in this crap all this businessmen were talking about. Mama turned to me with a teary eye.

"You'll be fine, Yufa" she cupped both of my hands and squeezed it tight. No matter how much I wanted to cry at the sight of my mama, I just couldn't bring myself into it. Perhaps I was too nervous or sad that no tears came from my eyes, or just because I partially blame her for this. She should've stopped papa from doing this. They maybe my parents but I also believe that I have the right to choose my path or rob me my freewill. For a second, I wanted to run. But where? Where will I hide? All is futile.

"I-I'm sorry. ." she blurted before turning back facing the doors. Whatever emotions her eyes held, all were hidden behind those eyes. Mama nodded at the guards and moved to open the doors and revealed the inside.

The place is full of western people.

Vote. Comment. Share. Enjoy.

-Rio